Thursday, October 29, 2015

November Dream Reads

~
Since we're only days away from November, I thought it'd be appropriate to post a lovely, appreciative post of the upcoming YA releases I've been happily anticipating, so obviously these are the fabulous reads that are planning to debut next month. I was tempted to add Soundless since everyone's been into that, also, and I would've wanted to check it out, sometime. But for now, tell me what you think and share your darling opinions!
~

THE ANATOMICAL SHAPE OF A HEART – JENN BENNETT

Artist Beatrix Adams knows exactly how she's spending the summer before her senior year. Determined to follow in Leonardo da Vinci’s footsteps, she's ready to tackle the one thing that will give her an advantage in a museum-sponsored scholarship contest: drawing actual cadavers. But when she tries to sneak her way into the hospital’s Willed Body program and misses the last metro train home, she meets a boy who turns her summer plans upside down.

Jack is charming, wildly attractive . . . and possibly one of San Francisco’s most notorious graffiti artists. On midnight buses and city rooftops, Beatrix begins to see who Jack really is—and tries to uncover what he’s hiding that leaves him so wounded. But will these secrets come back to haunt him? Or will the skeletons in Beatrix’s own family’s closet tear them apart?

I hear - God, that sounds so old - this is very sex-positive and artsy and hipster and an all-around dreamy read, so this is on my TBR with good reason.

YOUNG WIDOWS CLUB – ALEXANDRA COUTTS

First came love, then came marriage, and then...

For seventeen-year-old Tam, running off to marry her musician boyfriend is the ideal escape from her claustrophobic high-school life on the island, and the ultimate rebellion against her father and stepmother. But when Tam becomes a widow just weeks later, the shell-shocked teen is forced to find her way forward by going back to the life she thought she’d moved beyond—even as her struggle to deal with her grief is forcing her to reinvent herself and reach out to others in ways she never imagined.

One word: LOVE. For whatever reason, I thought the O on the cover was symbolizing a soccer ball. Anyway, it's also tremendously sad. A teenage girl is widowed only weeks into her marriage, then decides to join a support group for other widowed women. It's been on my TBR forever, so once I finally get a copy, I'm gonna jump for it.

HOTEL RUBY – SUZANNE YOUNG

Stay Tonight. Stay Forever.

When Audrey Casella arrives for an unplanned stay at the grand Hotel Ruby, she’s grateful for the detour. Just months after their mother’s death, Audrey and her brother, Daniel, are on their way to live with their grandmother, dumped on the doorstep of a DNA-matched stranger because their father is drowning in his grief.

Audrey and her family only plan to stay the night, but life in the Ruby can be intoxicating, extending their stay as it provides endless distractions—including handsome guest Elias Lange, who sends Audrey’s pulse racing. However, the hotel proves to be as strange as it is beautiful. Nightly fancy affairs in the ballroom are invitation only, and Audrey seems to be the one guest who doesn't have an invite. Instead, she joins the hotel staff on the rooftop, catching whispers about the hotel’s dark past.

The more Audrey learns about the new people she's met, the more her curiosity grows. She’s torn in different directions—the pull of her past with its overwhelming loss, the promise of a future that holds little joy, and an in-between life in a place that is so much more than it seems…

Welcome to the Ruby.

This makes me think of Suite Life of Zack & Cody meets The Visit. Weird combination, I know. I loooove it, though. Please gimme. A brother and a sister move to a luxurious, mysterious hotel after their mother dies and it's full of eerie employees and guests and dark secrets. There might even be a little American Horror Story - ironically, their current theme is Hotel - thrown in. Like I said, another kickass concept.

CONSENT – NANCY OHLIN

In this sexy and intriguing novel, an intense—and passionate—bond between a high school senior and her music teacher becomes a public scandal that threatens the reputation of both.

Bea has a secret.

Actually, she has more than one. There’s her dream for the future that she can’t tell anyone—not her father and not even her best friend, Plum.

And now there’s Dane Rossi. Dane is hot, he shares Bea’s love of piano, and he believes in her.

He’s also Bea’s teacher.

When their passion for music crosses into passion for each other, Bea finds herself falling completely for Dane. She’s never felt so wanted, so understood, so known to her core. But the risk of discovery carries unexpected surprises that could shake Bea entirely. Bea must piece together what is and isn’t true about Dane, herself, and the most intense relationship she’s ever experienced in this absorbing novel from Nancy Ohlin, the author of Beauty.

This also comes out on my birthday! Yay yay yay! 

I don't think I've ever read a student/teacher relationship in YA, so naturally I'm obsessed with this, too. Also, that cover is so beautiful. Lyrical. And the title is so powerful. Degrassi has done a few storylines with this topic but I'd love to see how it's worked in modern YA fashion.

NEED – JOELLE CHARBONNEAU

"No one gets something for nothing. We all should know better."

Teenagers at Wisconsin's Nottawa High School are drawn deeper into a social networking site that promises to grant their every need . . . regardless of the consequences. Soon the site turns sinister, with simple pranks escalating to malicious crimes. The body count rises. In this chilling YA thriller, the author of the best-selling Testing trilogy examines not only the dark side of social media, but the dark side of human nature.

"I saw this on NetGalley" has become my new catchphrase and "I got denied on NG" is steadily becoming my second. I sort-of regret not requesting when I had the chance because I'm seriously digging the concept. The sinister consequences of social-networking. It's so dystopian and wild and I need it on my shelf pronto.
~

8 comments:

  1. YES! The Anatomical Shape of a Heart is a must read! I'm also reading Hotel Ruby right now and really enjoying it! :)
    I'm excited to read Need as well.
    Hope all of these will be amazing for you!

    Nick @ Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. Hotel Ruby! I'm so loving the synopsis! I can't wait to see your review! Thanks, Nick! :D

      Delete
  2. I have to review The Anatomical Shape of A Heart as well as Need this month, so here's to hoping we both enjoy them. I've heard amazing things about Anatomical, and the few reviews floating around for Need were good as well, so I'm pretty excited. OMFG I am soo glad I came to your blog. First of all, I haven't heard of Consent, but girl did you know I am absolutely obsessed with student-teacher relationships??? Since you haven't read one before, definitely make sure you pick up Unteachable by Leah Raeder and thank me later lol. I'm buying Consent like RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girllll, Degrassi has done about a dozen storylines on the student/teacher topic. lol. OMG. I'm totally picking up Unteachable! I hear, Leah Raeder's work is like magic. Consent is definitely a must-have and I definitely need to get The Anatomical Shape Of A Heart ASAP!

      Delete
  3. I have heard so many amazing things about The Anatomical Shape. I need that in my life! I am reading The Young Widow's Club next, so fingers crossed! And I really liked Hotel Ruby!

    As for Need, I NEED some reviews before I give it a shot ;) (Terrible pun, because those are fun!) Because the author's last series was kind of a mess for me. I am also on the fence about Consent- just so very few reviews in general!

    As usual, there are like, 727 books I need to read this month ;) It's a good thing, right? Hahah hope you enjoy these!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! The Anatomical Shape Of A Heart sounds so fun! So does YWC! I'll be looking forward to your review! Seriously, just another million books on our TBRs, right? lol.

    Actually, I agree about Need. I think I need (ha! punny) to see more reviews before I actually re-check it out. I think Consent is sounding lovely. I've seen a few mixed reviews, also. It's the first-ever student/teacher I've ever seen in YA, I think. Thanks, Shannon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the Anatomical Shape of a Heart. Soo good!! I hadn't heard of Consent before but color me intrigued. Definitely checking that one out!!! Hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! There are so many great upcoming November reads and Consent sounds like fire! Thanks, Grace!

      Delete