Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Review: Since You've Been Gone

Morgan Matson - Since You've Been Gone
Published: May 6, 2014 by Simon & Schuster
Pages: 449
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads, Book Depository
Rating: 2/5

It was Sloane who yanked Emily out of her shell and made life 100% interesting. But right before what should have been the most epic summer, Sloane just…disappears. All she leaves behind is a to-do list.

On it, thirteen Sloane-inspired tasks that Emily would normally never try. But what if they could bring her best friend back?

Apple picking at night? Okay, easy enough.

Dance until dawn? Sure. Why not?

Kiss a stranger? Um...

Emily now has this unexpected summer, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected), to check things off Sloane's list. Who knows what she’ll find?

Go skinny-dipping? Wait...what?
~

Honestly.

Let me tell you the story to why I brought this. I'd been in Target a few weeks ago, in the middle of a book slump, with my best friend when I stumbled upon the YA section. Every Last Word
, Red Queen, and Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls among others were on-display, and I was like, "I DNFed this. My GR friends hated that. Isn't that such a beautiful cover?", etc., while he tried to unsuccessfully drag me out of the aisle.

Then, I spotted
Since You've Been Gone, shoved it into his hands, and the following conversation ensued.

Peach: "That cover is seriously so pretty, right?"
Peach's Bestie: "Yeah..."
P: "Read the summary!"
PB: *reads*
P: *goes on to exaggeratedly explain, anyway*
PB: Wow. That
does sound cool.

So I brought it...and now we're here.

Emily and Sloane are best friends. They've been so for two years. As Emily is driving to Sloane's house for a summer hangout, she finds Sloane's dark and empty. Void. At first, she figures Sloane has simply gone on a surprise vacation with her family until she discovers a list, sent from Sloane, and addressed to her.

The list is creative (i.e. kiss a stranger, hug a Jamie, dance till dawn, etc.) But if my best friend went missing and gave me a giant to-do list, I'd probably complete about six of them, to be honest. Emily half-asses 95% of them, too. It seriously baffled me why she never once considered, "OMG. Was Sloane
kidnapped?" and simply worked through the list without an ounce of worry.

Also, Emily prides herself on being so fucking
shy while Sloane is the appropriately deemed social butterfly. But Emily had three guys chasing after her, pranced around in tight dresses on occasion, and had almost every other boy in the story somehow flirting with her.

Frank, the designated love interest, spends the most time with Emily to the point where it became overbearing. They go to diners, jog through their neighborhood bi-weekly, and he intensely dogs her as she's working through Sloane's List. He seems to either know everyone or be distantly related to a person she's looking for. I wasn't allured by Frank's charm. He seemed to say all the wrong things. And when he met her family, he choked like a little bitch, so not a fan. Also, he had a girlfriend.
PSA: CHEATING IS NEVER OKAY.

Emily was such a garbage friend. I can't divulge too many details without spoiling but Sloane did everything for her. No, seriously,
everything. She took her to concerts, vintage shops, and helped her bargain for sunglasses. Sloane is so marvelous. Honestly, I love her. I wish she was my best friend. She's so cool. I cried for the sweet things she did for Emily. Don't judge. Collins and Dawn were darling side-characters, too. I especially liked how Dawn called Emily out on her shit.

The ending was cheesy, last-minute, and unnecessary. As I said in a few previous reviews, maybe I'm getting too old for certain YA Contemporaries (gasp!). I think a tween would obsess over this. The cover is absolutely stunning. It does both of the girls justice. I am looking forward to The Unexpected Everything
, though. Tell me what you think, bunnies!
~

4 comments:

  1. I have no idea how many times I've taken this one on and off my TBR-I still can't decide if I really want to read it but now I'm leaning towards no. It makes me so mad when the love interest already has a partner yet goes after someone else. Plus Emily really does sound like a lame friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME. There is nothing more I hate when a taken character is traversing the town with the MC. Like, go be without your partner. Really. I think I'd only recommend it for Sloane and the side-cast. They were so genuine and all-around lovely.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, I'm actually torn about this one. XD I did love it. But I read it several years ago and I wonder if my opinion would be different now? I LOVED the list aspect and I loved the summery vibe and I just, gah, I really liked the story. BUT. I think it was really frustrating how Emily turned basically into an extrovert by the end. She never seemed "shy" to me. She seemed like an introvert. And then BOOM at the end she was not. >_> I don't like fixing shy/introverted people! IT'S OKAY TO BE A QUIET SOUL. And cheating is not okay. Ever.
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a conflicting one, haha. It took me forever to finish, though! It was like 500 pages! I really do love the summer aspect of it, too! But it was seriously annoying how Emily claimed to be an introvert and yet wasn't. What an exhausted trope.

      Delete