Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Review: Underwater

Marisa Reichardt - Underwater
Expected publication: January 12, 2016 by Farrar, Straus, & Giroux
Pages: 288
Genres: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Young Adult
Rating: 5/5

Morgan didn’t mean to do anything wrong that day. Actually, she meant to do something right. But her kind act inadvertently played a role in a deadly tragedy. In order to move on, Morgan must learn to forgive—first someone who did something that might be unforgivable, and then, herself.

But Morgan can’t move on. She can’t even move beyond the front door of the apartment she shares with her mother and little brother. Morgan feels like she’s underwater, unable to surface. Unable to see her friends. Unable to go to school.

When it seems Morgan can’t hold her breath any longer, a new boy moves in next door. Evan reminds her of the salty ocean air and the rush she used to get from swimming. He might be just what she needs to help her reconnect with the world outside.

Underwater is a powerful, hopeful debut novel about redemption, recovery, and finding the strength it takes to face your past and move on.

~
 * I received a review copy from Macmillan in exchange for an honest review.
~
Magic. Absolute magic.

I feel like my review won't do this masterpiece justice. Maybe that's why I've taken so long to finally do so. I am so fond of the cover and the UK version, too. Please go find them if you haven't and stare at them for hours, like I have.

I could brag about the covers of 2016 YA for hours, believe me. But before this becomes a giant discussion post, instead, let's fangirl over Underwater.

Morgan has it good. She's surrounded by a lovely troupe of friends and takes great joy in swimming. But after playing an unintentional role in a high school shooting, Morgan becomes a shell of herself and locks herself in her apartment to cope. Agoraphobic and suffering from anxiety and PTSD, Morgan finds herself only able to face her mother, her little brother, and her therapist.

So when a new boy, Evan, moves into the apartment complex, fresh from Hawaii. She's not only taken by his handsomeness but his charisma. After Morgan is convinced she scared him off in their introduction, he returns day after day, charming as ever. As Morgan slowly lowers her walls, the relationship between she and Evan blossoms.

I was struck by this story. It's phenomenal. I was shaking during certain portions. I was tearful. And when I finished, I immediately wanted to start over and reread. (Still craving that grilled cheese, BTW.) This debut is so special and memorable and breathtaking, everyone needs to place this at the very top of their TBR.
~

4 comments:

  1. This book sounds like a very memorable and powerful read, I'll have to look into it! Thanks for the review :D!

    Aentee at Read at Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was! I'll definitely be looking forward to your review! Thanks, Aentee! :D

      Delete
  2. I'm really excited to read this one. It sounds like it lived up to your expectations! I can't wait! :D

    Nick @ Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so darling! I would love to see your review, Nick! :D

      Delete