Monday, October 19, 2015

Tropes That Need To Go


In a nutshell, yeah.

In all of YA, MG, NA, whatever, these are the tropes I simply cannot stand. I'm sure there's more but for now, I've rounded up only a few. Feel free to tell me what you think and share your own!

~


A MAGICAL FIRST KISS

I always roll my eyes at this. When kisses in YAs are described as “moonlight and sunshine and cake frosting.” Um, no. Sorry, but no. If you've had a magical first kiss, please let me place my laptop aside and applaud you. Unfortunately, I have not. Even though it wasn't to my favor, Lily, the MC from I Take You, said her first kiss was nothing ideal. As of the current, I have yet to read a first kiss described as anything less than magical in YA.


INSTALOVE

I petition for this to no longer be a thing. Honestly, it's intolerable. A couple meets Chapter 1, makeouts all throughout Chapter 2, and are soon trading “I love yous” and charm bracelets by Chapter 3. Absolutely unreal.


LOVE CAN FIX ANYTHANG

This is actually a big thing in Once Upon A Time, which is a favorite show of mine, and I think that's the only place I'd actually deem it okay. Otherwise, it makes me practically nauseous when books are promoting “love can cure mental illness” and "love conquers all."


NO MAKEUP, NO PROBLEM

I have only recently read about an MC complain about a zit (i.e. Joan from The Hired Girl) but almost every MC ever has had flawless, Proactiv-perfect skin and pin-straight hair.


BONING WHEN YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE GRIEVING / RUNNING FROM THE APOCALYPSE/ DEALING WITH A CRISIS

This happens in Olivay, This Raging Light, and How To Be A Grownup. Though all these books are great in their own aspect, I can only ask, Why? Why is this even a thing? If a family member died or Godzilla started tearing buildings out of the ground, I doubt I'd be launching myself at the local boy. Gross on so many levels.

~

4 comments:

  1. Bwhahah this is SO TRUE and so fabulous! All of these things are so ridiculous. I am sorry, but a world in which NONE of the young people has a zit HAS to be fiction, and certainly not realistic fiction ;)

    And does ANYONE like Insta-Love? How is it still a thing, since everyone basically rips it to shreds? It is the worst! And a close second is the "we're running from an assassin, let's have sex" one. Come ON people. These are great!!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHANNON, YOU ARE DARLING AND THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW.

      BTW, is it okay if I jump into a YA, Blues Clues-style, where everyone seems to have perfect skin and hair and closets full of fashionable clothes? Instalove is a sin. I think it's dying out, though. hahaha. I don't have an actual name for that last trope but I literally see it EVERYWHERE. So crazy!

      Delete
  2. "f you've had a magical first kiss, please let me place my laptop aside and applaud you." LOL. Oh man, so many bad memories coming back to me right now.

    I totally agree that these tropes should go, especially insta-love because it's so annoying. You would think as much as everyone complains about it authors would try and develop their romances more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. I still get nightmare flashbacks, seriously.

    I'm surprised instalove still manages to sneak in, but I think it's withering out for the most part. It seems with all the revolting everyone is doing against it, certain authors are finally getting the message.

    ReplyDelete