Review: For Real

Alison Cherry - For Real
Published: December 9, 2014 by Delacorte Press
Pages: 304
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads, Book Depository
Rating: 4.5/5

No parents. No limits. No clue what they're in for.

Shy, cautious Claire has always been in her confident older sister's shadow. While Miranda's life is jam-packed with exciting people and whirlwind adventures, Claire gets her thrills vicariously by watching people live large on reality TV.

When Miranda discovers her boyfriend, Samir, cheating on her just before her college graduation, it's Claire who comes up with the perfect plan. They'll outshine Miranda's fame-obsessed ex while having an amazing summer by competing on Around the World, a race around the globe for a million bucks. Revenge + sisterly bonding = awesome.

But the show has a twist, and Claire is stunned to find herself in the middle of a reality-show romance that may or may not be just for the cameras. This summer could end up being the highlight of her life... or an epic fail forever captured on film. In a world where drama is currency and manipulation is standard, how can you tell what's for real?

~

My name is Peach and I'm addicted to all things reality TV. You name it, I'll read (watch) it.

After Miranda catches her boyfriend, Samir, cheating, she's rightly devastated. Her sister, Claire, sympathizes with her and insists on doing whatever she can to help. After all, her sister is perfect . Not long after the infidelity debacle, they discover Samir has signed on for a reality show called Around The World, a parody of The Amazing Race. Claire urges Miranda to audition for the show as a sort-of joke but she still needs a partner. Though intensely shy, Claire yearns to work in television one day, so she decides to join Miranda in her revenge quest.

After being successfully chosen and brought into the welcoming ceremony, they discover the show has been given a dating-show twist. Claire is almost immediately enamored by a boy she met at the casting call, Will Devine. She silently wishes for them to be partnered while Miranda dreads the possibility of being partnered to Samir.

Miranda still sees Claire as her baby sister, which is something I'm sure us younger siblings could relate to, and is unnecessarily overprotective and hostile at times. Being a littler sister myself, I definitely felt Claire's pain.

I think the book is appropriate to its title. It was real. Claire and all her awkwardness, the infidelity scandal, the sisterly love, and the rejection. The challenges were kinda cheesy but reality-TV appropriate. I felt major  L.A. Candy and Since You've Been Gone vibes. Reality TV has always been one of my guilty pleasures, so it's only right I've finally snatched a book on the subject and gave it all my love. Definitely a fave.
~

Comments

  1. I've only read one book about reality TV - Something Real by Heather Demetrios (which I absolutely LOVED), so thank you for putting this under my radar as well! It sounds like such a realistically written novel, and I can't wait to read it. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Something Real, but I'll totally add it to my TBR! I also really enjoyed the L.A. Candy and The Fame Game trilogies by Lauren Conrad, who was actually a reality TV star back in the day. Thanks, Zoe! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment