Review: Gossip Girl

Cecily von Ziegesar - Gossip Girl
Published: April 1st, 2002 by Poppy
Pages: 224
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads, Book Depository
Rating: 4/5

Welcome to New York City's Upper East Side, where my friends and I live, go to school, play, and sleep--sometimes with each other.

S is back from boarding school, and if we aren't careful, she's going to win over our teachers, wear that dress we couldn't fit into, steal our boyfriends' hearts, and basically ruin our lives in a major way. I'll be watching closely...

You know you love me,
gossip girl
~
Anyone who knows me - IRL or whatever - knows I'm absolutely obsessed with Gossip Girl. Literally, I have four seasons of the show on DVD and thirteen of Cecily's books, including one of the spinoffs.

Recently, I started re-watching the show on Netflix. Currently, I'm on Season 4. Blah, blah. Other insignificants events. Anyway, I seriously lost my sympathy for this cast. At least, the TV version.

Today's review will be formatted a bit unconventionally. As in, differences between the book and show. Here goes:

* In both the book and show, Blair's bulimia was never taken seriously.
* In the book, Nate was a clumsy, useless pothead. In the show, Nate was somewhat more dignified. Ironically, Nate's actor, Chace Crawford, was arrested for misdemeanor marijuana possession.
* Chuck was a creeper in both.
* Also, Serena was a chronic Mary Sue in both.
* In the book, Dan was a major snot. In the show, his freakiness is somewhat contained.
* Not quite sure how to explain Jenny in either.
* Parents exist in the book. Not that they're actually parental. However, in the show, Rufus, Jenny and Dan's father, was the only father who actually cared about anyone's welfare.

I kept my rating high because Gossip Girl will always be my guilty pleasure. I can always go back to it and be like, "Squee!" Even though the cast is more like Upper East Side trash, I have such love for them. I know. Like I said, though, guilty pleasure. Really, it's like reality TV. Honestly, the book series is far better than the show. Serena and Blair don't backstab each other every other episode and the boys are semi-genuine. Check it out, lovebirds!
~

Comments

  1. I actually owned all of the Gossip Girl books before the TV show came out but I don't remember ever finishing all 13 books. I was a huge Blair and Nate shipper and I think my 15 year old self kind of gave up on the books when it became apparently that that ship wasn't going to stay afloat. I remember flicking through all of the books and reading only the Blair/Nate sections. I didn't end up finishing the whole TV show but I actually really loved Blair and Chuck in it.

    - Jenna @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never finished the book series, actually! I have about ten or twelve of the actual series and two of the spinoff books (Psycho Killer and one of the Carlyles.) I was such a Blair/Nate shipper, too! I wish they ended up together! He was such a sweetheart! The show was good and all, but it kinda flopped in the latter seasons. Plus, they revealed who Gossip Girl was and I think it should've remained anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this TV show so I am perplexed as to why I have never tried the book. I think it's because I ADORE Blair, and I heard Serena is very much the main character in the book version.

    Aentee at Read at Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book series is so great, I definitely recommend it! I like the TV show, too, but it's a bit meh. Serena is so annoying but she isn't as annoying in the books. People used to say her actress was a bit expressionless. I absolutely adore Blair, too!

      Delete

Post a Comment