Sunday, December 6, 2015

DNF Review: I'll Give You The Sun

Jandy Nelson - I'll Give You The Sun
Published: September 14, 2014 by Dial Books
Pages: 371
Genres: Contemporary, LGBTQIA, Young Adult
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads, Book Depository
Rating: DNF. DNF. DNF.

A brilliant, luminous story of first love, family, loss, and betrayal for fans of John Green, David Levithan, and Rainbow Rowell

Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways . . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else—an even more unpredictable new force in her life. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they’d have a chance to remake their world.

This radiant novel from the acclaimed, award-winning author of The Sky Is Everywhere will leave you breathless and teary and laughing—often all at once.

~
Guess I'm the odd one out again.

So I brought this at Target because I thought the new paperback was beautiful. Plus, I saw a few reviews giving such praise, I was like, "Ooh. Gimme!"

But when I started...
Okay. Overstatement. Given most things, it started off normal. Noah and Jude are twins. Noah is mostly friendless and clings to his sister, Jude, while Jude is a beaming social butterfly, who prefers to not have her antisocial brother following after her like a needy toddler.

In retrospect, it's a fantastic storyline. The writing style, though, bothered me. No, I mean, really bothered me.

Whenever someone would say something mildly , "I barfed bright blue/green/magenta barf" was used. It took me, like, an hour to realize this was meant metaphorically.

Also: the intolerable subject changing. The family would be trying to raise Grandma's spirit from the dead to the dinner table one second, then Noah's father would be yelling at the neighbor's batshit parrot, and then, their parents would start arguing for no reason whatsoever. And when we reached Jude's POV, she "hearing" Grandma Sweetwine's voice and listening to her rants about pickles.

Yeah. Not kidding.
"Me too - kosher dills, big fat juicy ones. Mmm. Mmm. Mmm," whispers Grandma Sweetwine in my head.
This book was random and messy. The metaphors were irritable. If it solely concentrated on the storyline I expected, I would've probably been able to finish it. Jude and Noah both have excellent potential. Maybe I'll return to finish it someday. For now, not a recommend.
~

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I am so sorry you didn't like it! I did, but I will absolutely agree that I didn't love it at first- I was kind of confused myself and did a lot of "what is wrong with these people?" asking. But for me, I really got into it- it was definitely more character driven than plot driven. So sorry that it didn't work for you though- I think the writing is probably one of those hit or miss kind of things, just depending on your taste!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I totally agree! Jude and Noah were so confusing and the writing was so messy, but I'm still open to checking out Jandy's other books!

    ReplyDelete