Review: Blackhearts

Nicole Castroman - Blackhearts
Expected publication: February 9, 2016 by Simon Pulse
Pages: 384
Genres: Historical Fiction, Retellings, Young Adult
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads, Book Depository
Rating: 4/5

Blackbeard the pirate was known for striking fear in the hearts of the bravest of sailors. But once he was just a young man who dreamed of leaving his rigid life behind to chase adventure in faraway lands. Nothing could stop him—until he met the one girl who would change everything.

Edward "Teach" Drummond, son of one of Bristol's richest merchants, has just returned from a year-long journey on the high seas to find his life in shambles. Betrothed to a girl he doesn’t love and sick of the high society he was born into, Teach dreams only of returning to the vast ocean he’d begun to call home. There's just one problem: convincing his father to let him leave and never come back.

Following her parents' deaths, Anne Barrett is left penniless and soon to be homeless. Though she’s barely worked a day in her life, Anne is forced to take a job as a maid in the home of Master Drummond. Lonely days stretch into weeks, and Anne longs for escape. How will she ever realize her dream of sailing to Curaçao—where her mother was born—when she's stuck in England?


From the moment Teach and Anne meet, they set the world ablaze. Drawn to each other, they’re trapped by society and their own circumstances. Faced with an impossible choice, they must decide to chase their dreams and go, or follow their hearts and stay.
~
My heart is still broken. LEAVE ME BE.

First things first, I shall never recover from that ending. Nicole, literally, half my heart is shattered and I had to eat my weight in cheesecake to ensure recovery. I'm torn on whether I'm fine with it remaining a standalone or crying forever until a sequel arrives.

What a page-turner. What a knockout. I'm predicting one of 2016's finest here. I've had trouble with retellings in the past and though I'm not exactly fluent in the story of Blackbeard, Hook from OUAT is surely mine and I've always had a thing for Johnny Depp, so obviously I was struck by this story and all of Teach's diamond-esque attributes.

During an unsuccessful search for rich venison and shrimp for the mansion dinner, Anne, a biracial maid, collides into a handsome stranger on her way back to the manor. He has sold out the shrimp vendor and Anne has not a clue on how to convince him to share. After the stranger becomes a little too forward, Anne viciously attacks him with her pail and dashes off.

Soon, Anne and the stranger are being reintroduced. He's discovered to be the son of her employer. Edward “Teach”, who has recently returned from a journey overseas and is one half of an arranged marriage. They engage in casual, flirtatious banter and Teach initiates more of the flirtation, which I simultaneously loved and hated.

Like I said, Teach is a crazy handsome babe. He's intellectual and he considers Anne his queen. I mean, Lord have mercy.

But remember what I said? He has a fiancée. He is engaged. Not okay, bro. Never okay. I don't care if she's the ultimate ice bitch – and I will say this again and again – but I will never condone cheating. How Teach treated his fiancée was shameful. I don't care how bad your babe's attitude is or what they did, you never have a reason to degrade them so. But while he was lunging for a relationship with Anne, she would often head him off at the pass and remind him of his engaged status.

I liked a lot about Anne. She was ballsy and full of light and life. The town itself was an interesting sight and the relationships between Anne and the other maids had me captivated in the best way.

So without a doubt, a recommend. Teach is sexysexy and Anne is obviously the baddest bitch, so really how can you not?
~

Comments

  1. Woah. Um. Okay. I'm not sure I like what I hear about the ending. O_O I'm reading this book next, so I didn't read your review *too* close, but, ahhh, heartbreaking ending, hmm. Well. Now I know! :D

    Great review, Peach!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ending is a heartbreaker I TELL YA. Literally, I'd been seeing people say that all over GR before I actually read it and I'd been so worried. haha. Thanks, Alyssa! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awk, I REALLY want to read this one. Because...pirates?! HELLO I NEED PIRATES IN MY LIFe. *nods emphatically* This is pretty high on my "need" list for 2016. :D
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PIRATES ARE LIFE ITSELF & TEACH IS BAE. You so need to read it ASAP! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHY IS HE ENGAGED!!?? Man that must be so frustrating for you. Anyways, I was actually seriously doubting this book, but I am glad that I am 100% wrong. I will definitely be looking forward to reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I SHALL NEVER TELL. hahaha. For real, though, it was agony. Teach is seriously a total babe. Such a smooth-talker. I'll so be looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my most anticipated debuts of 2016! You're lucky you got to read it, I have to wait until February haha. Glad you liked it though! Everyone is saying Teach is amazing...

    Jess @ Princessica of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great, I think you'll love it, and Teach is seriously one of my all-time favorite YA love interests!

      Delete
  8. I just recently got a copy of this book and I'm so excited to read it. I love pirates, history, all of it. I'm so glad to see that you really loved this book and it makes me even more excited to read this one! I'll have to bump it up my TBR. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW. Historical fiction is becoming my new thing & Teach is seriously the cutest! Can't wait to see your review! Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment