Saturday, January 23, 2016

DNF Review: Truest

Jackie Lea Sommers - Truest
Published: September 1st, 2015 by Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 384
Genres: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Young Adult
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads, Book Depository
Rating: N/A. (Unfortunately, it's a sad, saaaaad DNF.)

Silas Hart has seriously shaken up Westlin Beck's small-town life. Brand new to town, Silas is different than the guys in Green Lake. He's curious, poetic, philosophical, maddening-- and really, really cute. But Silas has a sister-- and she has a secret. And West has a boyfriend. And life in Green Lake is about to change forever.

Truest is a stunning, addictive debut. Romantic, fun, tender, and satisfying, it asks as many questions as it answers.

~
Because Silas Hart is all kinds of nasty.

Westlin "West" Beck is the local priest's daughter and a part-time car detailer. Since her father is so busy with churchgoings and is rarely home, her resentment builds. So when her boyfriend, Elliott, takes a job at his family's farm and her best friend, Trudy, decides to take a job as a camp counselor, she has no one. So when the Hart family moves to town, Westin's father enlists the help of one of the Hart twins, Silas, to assist West at her workplace.

I have (maybe) a thousand problems with the book. I'll start at #1.

1. Cheating is uncool. I will say this again and again and again and again. Please do not cheat on your spouse. It's wrong. It's mean. It will emotionally scar the person. It will ruin their next relationship. Need I continue?

2. West is a fucking idiot. Mainly, about the Laurel situation. Mostly, about the Laurel situation. When she first saw Laurel casually sitting on the couch, she automatically assumed she couldn't walk. What the hell is wrong with you?

3. Silas is disgusting. First impressions are everything. Believe me, I love bad boys, but he wasn't even working the whole "I'm a loner boo let's makeout behind Sonic's later" routine. He was plain rude. I could not sympathize with how he treated his sister. I don't care if it's a teenage phase or he couldn't handle Laurel's diagnosis, but he absolutely no reason to treat her the way he did.

4. Again, cheating is wrong. Also, Elliott is a lovely boyfriend. Like, if your boyfriend mistreats you or can barely stand to look at you, I may possibly but not really understand, but he was nice. He was always around. West's behavior was gross: "No, I'm staying here. No, I'm staying with the Harts. No, you can go home, Elliott."

5. If you call your sister an asshole, you're the asshole, my friend.

6. Silas is a brooding poet. I thought I'd share a piece of his work.
douche y poem
for mah girl
u beeyotches obvi
ain't badass like
my bomb hottie
who got hella
junk in da trunk
fo sho


7. West doesn't believe in a life outside of romance. The second she leaves her house, she running to the Harts. Silas, really. She cried when he left town. I can't remember her having an actual hobby. Paint a mural, eat pizza with your friends, serenade a box of Pop-Tarts. Just get a life.

8. Instalove.

9. Um, cheating.

There is no #10, sadly. The only reason I tried to stick to this story because I liked Laurel. She made me sad. Her character is someone so sad and realistic and misunderstood. Everyone mistreated her. I wanted to continue the story simply for her, but I simply could not. Silas and West killed it for me. Silas made jokes about her illness. There are so many things not okay with all of this.

The writing is pretty, but not enough for a recommend.
~

4 comments:

  1. Oh man I don't blame you for DNFing this. I would have done the same. Hopefully your next read is/was better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was agony, really. haha. Thanks, Bec!

      Delete
  2. Aww I am sorry that you didn't like (okay, hated) this one! I must admit that I really liked it, BUT I am not really that offended by the whole cheating thing, I guess it is a personal preference, but also, I feel like she knew she was wrong and then ended it, you know? But I do see why it didn't work for you! I hope your next book is much better for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, it's okay! Haha, it's seriously one of my biggest irks. I could not stand West for the life of me. Elliott was absolutely darling, though!

      Delete