Friday, January 8, 2016

Review: Bookishly Ever After

Isabel Bandeira - Bookishly Ever After
Expected publication: Janurary 12, 2016 by Spencer Hill Press
Pages: 350
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads, Book Depository
Rating: 3/5

In a perfect world, sixteen-year-old Phoebe Martins’ life would be a book. Preferably a YA novel with magic and a hot paranormal love interest. Unfortunately, her life probably wouldn’t even qualify for a quiet contemporary. But when Phoebe finds out that Dev, the hottest guy in the clarinet section, might actually have a crush on her, she turns to her favorite books for advice. Phoebe overhauls her personality to become as awesome as her favorite heroines and win Dev’s heart. But if her plan fails, can she go back to her happy world of fictional boys after falling for the real thing?
~
I hesitated with this. Not exactly sure why. The concept is seriously adorable. Plus, the cover. I thought the girl on the cover was a mermaid, at first. But really, we all need a Dev. And a gingerbread latte.

Phoebe Martins is a big fan of dystopian. I mean, who isn't, right? So when her best friend, Em, informs her the hottest boy in the clarinet section, Dev, might actually have a crush on her, she couldn't be more dumbfounded, she turns to her books for advice and looks to their heroines on how to handle the situation.

Alongside her great love of paranormal YA, Phoebe works at a knitting store, appropriately named, "Oh Knit!" and enjoys archery. When Dev discovers her mad knitting skillz, he insists she knit him a sweater or something, but she pointedly refuses. Em pretty much insists he wants to marry her.

I think this qualifies more as MG, really. There's really no explicit language. The F-bomb is dropped once and it's used awkwardly. There's also the occasionally makeout but nothing further. It felt like they were in elementary rather than high school and I needed the frequent reminder.

Phoebe's troupe of friends, though, are so fantastic. Whenever she needed them, they jumped at her call and my heart swelled over that.

Dev is also adorable. He's a big Bollywood star. (ha) I thought it was messed-up Em kept telling Phoebe (literally, feel like I'm in high school again, smh) "Oh, Dev likes you. He likes you. It's so obvious, he likes you." When it wasn't? From the beginning, Dev was treating her like a friend. Then, they did that summer camp thing and it got all instalove-y.


Though I really did like the ending, I see there's ground for a sequel. I would've preferred for it to stay how it was, but okay. A cutesy recommend, nonetheless.
~

6 comments:

  1. I hesitated a little bit with this one too (in fact, still hesitating) because it sounds a little bit too cutesy for me. I enjoy my fluffy contemporary romances, but I prefer those that have a little bit more grit. This seems like a quick read though so I might give it a go. And Dev already has me intrigued!
    Jenna @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly, it's pretty cutesy. I definitely love my fair amount of fluffy contemporaries, too, but Dev is interesting and there's gingerbread lattes and a lot of bookish love! I'll be looking forward to your review!

      Delete
  2. So glad you enjoyed this book Peach!
    I thought this was just cuteness overloaddd~ I totally get it when you say it leans a little to MG, though. Everything was so... innocent, in a way. But, I also know a group of friends who would behave like the characters did (not many f-bombs and the like). :P Also if there were someone like Dev in my school, I'd totally go for them. :)

    - Aila @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! There really are such cute moments, though. Why isn't there a real-life Dev??? He brought her milkshakes and stayed with her during book signings. An angel, truly. hahaha.

      Delete
  3. Mehhhhh. I feel like the whole "feels like MG" thing would make me rage. I have a hard enough time with fluff as it is, so I can imagine that this is likely not for me. I mean, I was a super dork who was clueless in general, so I get it but... I guess if I want to think about the awkwardness I can just take a stroll down memory lane? ;) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my MG, but I can only handle so much of it. Does that make sense??? totally! if I wanted to relive any awkward memories, I could very easily flashback to high school or 8th grade. hahaha.

      Delete