Review: Liars and Losers Like Us

Ami Allen-Vath - Liars and Losers Like Us
Expected publication: March 15, 2016 by Sky Pony Press
Pages: 240
Genres: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Young Adult
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads, Book Depository
Rating: 3/5

Keep calm and make it to prom night—without a legit panic attack.

For seventeen-year-old Bree Hughes, it’s easier said than done when gossip, grief, and the opportunity to fail at love are practically high-fiving her in the hallways of Belmont High.

When Bree’s crush, Sean Mills, gives her his phone number, she can’t even leave a voicemail without sounding like a freak. Then she’s asked to be on Prom Court because Maisey Morgan, the school outcast nominated as a joke, declined. She apologizes to Maisey, but it’s too late. After years of torment and an ugly secret shared with their class’s cruel Pageant Queen, Maisey commits suicide. Bree is left with a lot of regret…and a revealing letter with a final request.

With Sean by her side, Bree navigates through her guilt, her parents’ divorce, and all the Prom Court drama. But when a cheating-love-triangle secret hits the fan after a night of sex, drinks, and video games, she’s left with new information about Sean and the class Pageant Queen. Bree must now speak up or stay silent. If she lets fear be her guide, she’ll lose her first love, and head to prom to avenge the death of the school outcast—as a party of one.

~

Pretty much.

So I've never been to prom, which is actually one of my greater life regrets. My ex-boyfriend, who was not even my boyfriend at the time, was all like: "let's go to prom sexy lolololol" but he never officially asked me, so I ended up getting ice cream with my best friend. At the time, my other best friend had gone, instead. She delivered the gossipy deets the next day. There was a great DJ, a candy bar, and her ex-boyfriend's new girlfriend had worn a dress nearly similar to her own. There were tears. Scandal. (Not really a drama fiend, but a candy bar.)

Bree Hughes has an insane crush on Sean Mills. She also has an ear fetish, but let's disregard that. So when prom nominations become a thing, she's fully ready to be the peanut butter to his jelly. Unfortunately, Bree isn't given that chance. Maisey Morgan, a girl who has been tragically bullied for years, is nominated as a joke and Bree loses her chance. Obviously, she's devastated. But after an interval, Maisey declines the nomination and Bree is offered place on the Prom Court, instead. And if life couldn't get any grander, Sean finally wants to talk to her.

But Maisey lingers. People continue picking on her. The nickname "Maisey Mouse" clings to her conscience. (I didn't think it was that offensive, but okay.) The girl is devastated in more ways than one. Then, suddenly she kills herself.

I don't usually get emotional attachment to characters, but Maisey's suicide actually made me sad. Like, Cam from Degrassi. We saw little of her, but still. Plus, no one noticed she was gone. Students continued calling her names and prom preparation resumed, like nothing had happened. And I thought grief counselors would be brought in? Nothing.

If anything, I think the book should've concentrated solely on Maisey's suicide and the prom buildup. There were so many side-characters with names I could barely remember and a billion subjects: multiple divorces, a momentary lapse in friendship, an overdramatic ex-boyfriend, a few surprise revelations, and a whole load of pink ruffles.

Bree does get the promposal she dreams of, and shortly after, her relationship with Sean quickens. He's a cheesy sweetheart. He writes dumb haikus and always listens and isn't at all  forceful.

Also, Bree's mom? How is she so okay with everything? Is she literally Regina George's mother?


Prom was everything we could imagine and more. I was glad to see how it ended. I was crazily obsessed with Jane, The Queen Bee. I felt she was a missed opportunity. I wish we had a chance with Maisey, too. Or more time, at least. Otherwise, I was pleased with the ending. I'll be excitedly awaiting Ami's next book. And, dare I say, I almost want a sequel?
~

Comments

  1. I've been on the fence about this one. I want to pick it up, BUT I'm not sure how much I will actually like it. 3 stars isn't a horrible rating, but it means you found some flaws with the story, so I'll probably keep it on my mmmm-I-don't-know-about-this-one-yet shelf lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lolol. that's the perfect shelf name. I've been giving 3-stars so often lately, too, but I feel like it's more of an in-between thing tbh.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness that is evil. I honestly was not expecting this book to take such a sudden turn. I thought the book was going to be happy and funny? Guess not.

    I agree that maybe this should've focused more on Maisey and not ....prom? I'm not really interested in this, but I'm still hung up on the fact that people still kept calling Maisey names after she DIED. That's horrible.

    Thanks for your review Peach! Now I know what this book is actually about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lololol. I know, right?? there's a tiara on the front cover. it's surprisingly a very heavy book, though. We have an occasionally cute moment with the love interest. He's nerdy and such. But yeah, prom should've totally been delayed at the very least.

      Glad to help, Val! :D

      Delete
  3. Wowwww. I had no idea that this would be so serious! I was going to completely blow it off, to be honest, because I thought it was all fluff. Covers can be deceiving! I feel you with the prom thing too. Man, one of my biggest regrets! I wanted to ask this guy, but I was too scared, so I didn't go, and I watched my neighbor across the street who was a freshman go to the prom with a guy friend of mine. It SUCKED. Later, the guy told me he would have gone if I had asked. So then I extra hated myself ;)

    Great review, I will definitely consider this one- though I do wish there had been more about Maisey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW. It was so shocking! What a combination. really. The day after my ex-boyfriend came to find me, too. He was like, "Why didn't you come find me?" And I was like, "Why didn't you come find ME?" I'd been so upset. lolol. A freshman at prom, though. That's a new one. haha.

      I know. Me too! Definitely will be awaiting if you consider! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment