Review: My Kind of Crazy

Robin Reul - My Kind of Crazy
Expected publication: April 5, 2016 by Sourcebooks
Pages: 336
Genres: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Young Adult
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads, Book Depository
Rating: 4/5

Despite the best of intentions, seventeen-year old, wisecracking Hank Kirby can’t quite seem to catch a break. It’s not that he means to screw things up all the time, it just happens. A lot. Case in point: his attempt to ask out the girl he likes literally goes up in flames when he spells “Prom” in sparklers on her lawn…and nearly burns down her house.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, Peyton Breedlove, a brooding loner and budding pyromaniac, witnesses the whole thing. Much to Hank’s dismay, Peyton takes an interest in him—and his “work.” The two are thrust into an unusual friendship, but their boundaries are tested when Hank learns that Peyton is hiding some dark secrets, secrets that may change everything he thought he knew about Peyton.
 

~
WARNING: Beware the spoilers. They may be deemed potentially uncool.

~
Hank is mine. Don't dispute.

Promposals are scary and Hank Kirby is about to pull off a grand one. So when he attempt to spell "PROM" with sparklers in a bid to ask Lauren, the most popular girl in school, to prom, he sets her entire lawn aflame and runs away, instead. Luckily, no one has witnessed his escape and Hank is mostly safe. Unfortunately, he realizes he's left behind an empty box of sparklers and is forced to bike back to Lauren's house in shame.

However, another girl has witnessed the accident. Her name is Peyton Breedlove. (Phenomenal name, right?!?!) She has a penchant for burning Barbies and her hair is mighty untamable.

I'm mildly obsessed with Hank. He's a budding comic artist. Unintentionally hilarious. When I first opened the E-ARC, I was in actual tears over the hilarity. And when it became serious, I was like, "Come on, say something funny!" But his life outside of school is tragic, his father is an alcoholic and his mother and brother are dead, but the singular light in both their lives is his father's girlfriend, Monica. As he and Peyton grow closer, they begin to bond over their mutual loneliness.

At first, I was a fan of Peyton. She was genuine and sweet and spunky. All good things. Then, she became so vapid and started exhibiting these massive Manic Pixie Dream Girl traits. Outside of her pyromaniac habit, she didn't have a life outside of Hank. She followed him around, said terrible things about his best friend, and stalked him.

Even though she was shown to be kinda ditzy, I almost wish Hank ended up with Lauren. Peyton was too intense. I want Hank more for myself, honestly. He did so much more for Peyton and, like I said, she was just too much.

The writing is lovely and conversations flow and there was a moment I became emotional. Without a doubt, Reul's debut is touching, wondrous, and memorable. Everyone needs to have at this book ASAP.

~

Comments

  1. Yay I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! Robin is so sweet, and I can't wait to read her book. I'm glad to hear there are some funny parts in this story. Great review :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so adorable, I think you'll love it! Thanks, Rachel! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I NEED THIS. Funny?! Hilarious?! OKAY SIGN ME UP RIGHT NOW. XD I love hilarious books and this sounds particularly endearing and quirky. ;D Consider me sold, hehe.
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CAIT, IT IS. YES, YOU NEED IT IMMEDIATLEY. PLEASE READ IT, SO I CAN LOVE YOUR REVIEW. :D

      Delete
  4. So honestly, I did not read your review because of the spoilers, so I just skimmed through it. I initially was just meh about My Kind of Crazy because it didn't seem like my type of book, but your ravings of it is making me have second thoughts. So yes? Onto the TBR it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It's so hilarious and quirky and bizarre, there's literally a billion things to love about. I can't wait for you to check it out! :D

      Delete
  5. I've seen this one around. This particular review actually wants me to go read this one as soon as I can. It looks amazing! Good thing there's funny parts otherwise not sure I how I would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great, I hope you'll love it. Plus, it really is hilarious!

      Delete

Post a Comment