Sunday, January 17, 2016

Sunday Street Team: The Love That Split The World

~
Emily Henry - The Love That Split The World
Expected publication: January 26, 2016 by Razorbill
Pages: 316
Genres: Contemporary, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Young Adult
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads, Book Depository
Rating: 4/5

Natalie Cleary must risk her future and leap blindly into a vast unknown for the chance to build a new world with the boy she loves.

Natalie’s last summer in her small Kentucky hometown is off to a magical start... until she starts seeing the “wrong things.” They’re just momentary glimpses at first—her front door is red instead of its usual green, there’s a pre-school where the garden store should be. But then her whole town disappears for hours, fading away into rolling hills and grazing buffalo, and Nat knows something isn’t right.

That’s when she gets a visit from the kind but mysterious apparition she calls “Grandmother,” who tells her: “You have three months to save him.” The next night, under the stadium lights of the high school football field, she meets a beautiful boy named Beau, and it’s as if time just stops and nothing exists. Nothing, except Natalie and Beau.

Emily Henry’s stunning debut novel is Friday Night Lights meets The Time Traveler’s Wife, and perfectly captures those bittersweet months after high school, when we dream not only of the future, but of all the roads and paths we’ve left untaken.

-
About the Author:

Emily Henry is a full-time writer, proofreader, and donut connoisseur. She studied creative writing at Hope College and the New York Center for Art & Media Studies, and now spends most of her time in Cincinnati, Ohio, and the part of Kentucky just beneath it. She tweets @EmilyHenryWrite.
~
Emily Henry is a queen. Pass it on.

Let's talk about the gorgeousness of the cover first. Is it not gorgeous or is not gorgeous?!?!

But for real, I can talk about that rainbow maelstrom beauty for hours and a review would surely never exist, but let's get to why we're here, yeah? ;)

For most of her life, Natalie Cleary has been visited by her grandmother, who brings with her gorgeous stories regarding Natalie's heritage. But after a three-year disappearance, Grandmother returns and eerily informs Natalie she has to save "him" without exactly clarifying who he is. Given the revelation, Natalie is fearful.

At first, Natalie assumes her ex-boyfriend, Matt. Surprisingly, they've remained on good terms. She tells her best friend, Megan, about everything, including her grandmother's vivid stories and Megan never questions her.

Natalie is also Native-American, and lately, I've complained in a few other reviews about the ethnicities of other characters being blatantly thrown aside and unexplored, but Natalie's heritage and history are both explored gorgeously.

When she was a wee baby bean, Natalie was adopted. Her parents, who were desperate for a child, and her birth mother who was unfortunately lacking financial support, made the life-changing decision. Soon after, her parents had twins and she came to the realization, she looks absolutely nothing like her biological family. Neighbors start questioning her birthright. A local boy makes a terrible comment. The world is a horrid place.

And while at a high school football game, everyone disappears from the stands and the only one who remains is a boy named Beau Wilkes. Beau's appearances are recurring as are Natalie's hallucinations. Natalie finds Beau playing piano in an abandoned room. A door appears red instead of its usual green. Natalie finds herself standing in a field of buffalo instead of the town. She turns to Beau for solace.

Beau was not my favorite, honestly. I really did like his name, though. (LOL @ the sweet Gone With The Wind reference thrown in.) I hated how Natalie ran to Beau every time she thought her life had gone to shit. Also, Natalie said she was into dance, once upon a time, but she only tried to go back to it around him.

Don't get me wrong, I love love. YA is the only thing I can seriously read. Eat beer with cereal if it makes you happy, laugh till dawn, dance till dawn, but I hate to see love outright consume someone and Natalie outright couldn't live without Beau. She barely knew him and she was already accepting the fate handed to her. Like, no.

Though I loved Natalie and she's so excellent and soulful, I wanted so much more for her.

Can I saw how gorgeous the writing is, though? I think I've really overused the word "gorgeous" in this review but Emily Henry's debut has knocked 2016 out. It's so Disney. So fairytale. The diamond of all diamonds. Where is her next book? I need it ASAP. Please. With a million-trillion Oreo cookies on top. Thanks. ;)
~

15 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed The Love That Split the World. I'm in the middle of it right now, and I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, yay! I can't wait to see what you think of it!

      Delete
  2. YAAAAAAY I AM SO HAPPY THAT YOU ENJOYED TLTSTW! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg I need this book so much. It sounds BEAUTIFUL. Although it does concern me a lot that the protagonist is like...no one without her boy. Hmm. I'm all in for be-happy-and-single-before-you're-happy-and-coupled. BUT WE SHALL SEE. :P I have a request for this one in on Netgalley so eeep. FINGERS CROSSED. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FOR REAL, CAIT. IT'S SO PRETTY. There's diversity & realness & a semi-cute boy, and I'll be obviously and excitedly awaiting your review. :D

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous writing is always a plus! I'm starting to hear so many good things about this book. Might have to check it out myself soon :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like gorgeous writing, right? I'll be excitedly awaiting your review, Bec! :D

      Delete
  5. I love that the main character is Native-American, that makes me want to read this book so much, and after reading your review and knowing that the author explores her ethnicity is amazing. I don't know how I will feel about her running to a boy to solve her problems, but we will see. Great review! You really made me excited for this book.

    Sofia @ Bookish Wanderess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I know. The trope of "getting love to fix your problems" irks me endlessly. That makes me so glad! Thanks, Sofia! I can't wait for you to finally read it! :D

      Delete
  6. I had nooo clue the main character was Native American! First of all, yes to Emily for exploring her heritage, I mean if you're going to make a character diverse, you MUST go all the way. I actually want to read this now, I love the name Beau, but I don't really care for the fact that she seems so needy when it comes to him. Hopefully it's something I can ignore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS. It's seriously one of my favorite aspects of the novel. Emily explores it so beautifully, too! The name, Beau, is so cute, right? lmao. I'll be happily awaiting your review, T!

      Delete
  7. This was a really great review! I've had this book on my TBR list for a while, so now I am even more excited for it. I feel you on the "all-consuming love" trope though; was it easy to overlook because of the book's other good points? So glad I stumbled upon your blog.

    Christal @ Badass Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad! I hope you'll love it. The "all-consuming love" really is one of my least favorite things, but really, it's something minor. It's a very familial, diverse, darling YA.

      Delete