Review: Dig Too Deep

Amy Allgeyer - Dig Too Deep
Expected publication: April 1st, 2016 by Albert Whitman
Pages: 272
Genres: Realistic Fiction, Young Adult
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads, Book Depository
Rating: 5/5 (Yay!)

It's not just that Liberty Briscoe feels like an outsider in Ebbotsville, Kentucky. She expected it wouldn't be easy to move from the city to her granny's farm during her junior year of high school. Still, Liberty can't shake the feeling that something's not quite right. Everyone says the water's safe, yet nobody drinks it. When Granny becomes sick, like so many others in town, Liberty starts to wonder about the water, the people who tested it, and the coal mining company that took the top off Tanner's Peak.



Now, Liberty must follow her instincts to uncover secrets, despite those who think she's crazy to ask questions, including her own boyfriend. But even as the threats become consequences, she digs deeper. What's more dangerous: the water in the valley or the search for the truth?
~
This shattered me.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting to be blown away by this. No offense to the book or anything. I'm a cover judger and, admittedly, the book had a slow start, but this is a gritty, heavy, unreal revelation.

The book takes place in Ebbottsville, Kentucky, which I loved. It's gladdening to see a book not take place in LA or NYC or somewhere popular for once. And after her mother is sent to prison, Liberty Briscoe is placed on a bus and sent to Granny's to finish her high school semester. Ebbottsville has since changed. The townspeople have become sicker and a multitude of people are out of work. The biggest shock of all: the tap water is bright orange. But when Liberty questions it, no one is around to lend an ear.

When Granny's health begins to deteriorate, Liberty can only blame the tampered water. As Liberty interrogates further with fellow classmate Dobber at her side, the townsfolk warn her against pursuing the subject by alienating her, threatening her, and damaging her grandmother's property.

Here's the thing: I had not expected this to be so intense. My heart ached during most of these scenes. It tackles such prime topics. It's so real. So truthful. So devastating. Liberty is so empowering and badass. And when she broke her ring finger on Cole's face, I was like, "GIRL YASSSS." Dobber is adorable, too. I'm itching for a sequel because I'm curious on the sake of his and Liberty's relationship. The cast is hardened through their hardship but genuine all the same. An honest recommend.

~

Comments

  1. I am a cover judger too!! I wouldn't expect to much from this cover either but I am glad it was one you enjoyed! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, no way! it was a surprise, though, and definitely worth to read! thanks!

      Delete
  2. Ok you have convinced me. I too, kind of judged the cover a little, BUT I see that it is fantastic. And it does sound really intense! It also sounds a little like hydrofracking (spelling?) where you can light the water on fire because it is that bad. Honestly I wasn't going to take the time to read this, but I might now! Thank you for the review Peach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I've never even heard of the word "hydrofracking" till now tbh. It sounds so chemical and weird and interestingly intense. Hope you get the chance to read it! It's a great one!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one!! I actually got a copy at ALAMW and met the author, so I knew OF the book, just not what it's about. Great review, and you've persuaded me to move this up on the TBR :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yay! I hope you love it just as much as I did! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment