Monday, February 1, 2016

Review: First & Then

Emma Mills - First & Then
Published: October 13, 2015 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult
Pages: 272
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads, Book Depository
Rating: 4/5

Devon Tennyson wouldn't change a thing. She's happy watching Friday night games from the bleachers, silently crushing on best friend Cas, and blissfully ignoring the future after high school. But the universe has other plans. It delivers Devon's cousin Foster, an unrepentant social outlier with a surprising talent for football, and the obnoxiously superior and maddeningly attractive star running back, Ezra, right where she doesn't want them first into her P.E. class and then into every other aspect of her life.

Pride and Prejudice meets Friday Night Lights in this contemporary novel about falling in love with the unexpected boy, with a new brother, and with yourself.
 
~
Devon Tennyson is sarcastic. That's all we really know about her. Also, she doesn't think too highly of herself and has a penchant for Jane Austen novels. So when her parents decide to take in their godson, Foster, because his own parents are going through things, Devon is initially annoyed to have Foster constantly around. But when Foster displays prime football skillz, it impresses one of the star players and the coach, and they're vying to have him on the football team as their team's kicker.

Like Cait said, this is a football YA. Like, football is a really huge thing in this town. The football players are given divine treatment. Okay, I get it. I like football. I watch the Super Bowl every year. I'm a Patriots fan. You know, the like. But there's all these statistics and centimeters and "if he kicks the ball too high through the goalpost, it'll be a foul, etc." Where I got all: "???"

Devon also has a crush on her lifelong best friend, Cas. Not that I get the infatuation. He flirts with every girl inexistence and displays Grade-A fuckboy tendencies. He took a fourteen-year old to Homecoming. I'm leaving that right there.

Ezra, on the other hand, is cute. Ezra is so cute. Gimme him immediately. I love him. He's already mine. He's one of the star football players. He's socially awkward and he and Devon are awkward together all through the beginning. The romance isn't rushed. There's no automatic instalove. I love the relationship he has with Foster as well. Ezra treats him like a little brother and my heart is so fragile.

Devon's pregnant friend, Marabelle, is fiercely annoying. Okay, so you're pregnant, right? Why are you always at school parties? Are you not tired? She acts like she's literally the hottest thing around and she's pregnant and like, Go home. But, if anything, that's something exceptionally minor.

My only problem, I felt the novel was rushed around the end. There was an accident, a quick apology, and a few kisses. I would've preferred something more solid, but that's just me. Nonetheless, I enjoyed 95% of the novel and the cover is gorgeous. An obvious, hella cute recommend.
~

2 comments:

  1. Lol Peach I really enjoyed your commentary on the characters here! Like Marabelle hanging around and Cas who sounds like a real playboy. I don't get that either. And I'm not a big sports person, so this isn't high on the list. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeann! hahah. This book is agonizing, but a funny kind of agonizing? Totally! I'm not really one to die for sports, but Ezra really is super cute!

    ReplyDelete