Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Songs That Would Make Hella Great Books

~
Heeeeeeey, everybody! How was everyone's Valentine's Day? I almost wrote "Thanksgiving" for whatever reason. Um, okay. Anyway, mine was okay. I went to my sister's for dinner with the fam and she surprised me with a mini bag of candies and chocolate, so my thought train had simply been: "OMGOMGOMG CHOCOLATE." I'd wanted to buy discount candy on the 15th, but I didn't even leave my house because I'm lazy, so that was a fail.

I haven't done a Top Ten Tuesday in a while, so I've been excited to do this one. Music. I love Jhené Aiko and I'm excited to include about a thousand of her songs and Alessia Cara's hit single "Here" is my jam as of the late, so let's go to it.
~
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.
~
JHENE AIKO - THE PRESSURE

I listen to this song almost every day. Jhené is one of my all-time favorite artists. Literally, you can fall asleep to her voice. The video is gorgeous, too. So melodic.
~
DEMI LOVATO - COOL FOR THE SUMMER

I like the lyric video better than the actual music video, to be honest. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Demi - what are her fans called again? lovatics? - it's such a great summery song, though. I haven't listened to it a while, but I'm imagining a cool idea for a YA at a snazzy beach house or a campground. This could be included in the soundtracks for Boys of Summer and Two Summers, no?
~
GWEN STEFANI - HOLLABACK GIRL

So Gwen basically wrote this song because Courtney Love was talking shit, calling her a cheerleader and whatever else. But could you imagine a YA where the QB boyfriend dumps his cheerleader girlfriend, who probably has a scholarship to an Ivy League and not because of her parents, after much coercing from his teammates and a potential side-chick (We already have The Revenge Playbook, but I'd prefer a slightly remixed version) and she ain't even mad??? She goes on the live her life and be all hype.
~
CARRIE UNDERWOOD - BEFORE HE CHEATS
I actually hate country music, but I think Carrie Underwood is a badass. I can't think of a good cheating book (God, that sounds wrong), but Gina Ciocca's Busted is sounding pretty darn phenomenal. Sadly, it doesn't publish till 2018, so y'all will have to suffer alongside me.
~

TLC - NO SCRUBS

Hasn't there ever been a girl group YA in existence? I'm trying to think of one, but nothing is coming to mind. Plus, if y'all know the complete story of TLC, it'd be interesting to see a girl band go through similar struggles and misogyny and money troubles as they did.
~
JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE - WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND
 
Rumor has it, Justin wrote this because Britney Spears (back in the day, they were a thing) cheated on him. Literally, this was my jam in 2009. I had it on my iPod Mini and overplayed it.
~
FERGIE - L.A. LOVE

This is more of my guilty pleasure song. I like the music video. It's trashy and messy and weird and comical. Fergie makes better music without the Black-Eyed Peas, honestly.
~
3OH!3 - DON'T TRUST ME
The original fuckboys. I'm sure everyone knows the ancient proverb: "I'm a vegetarian and I ain't fucking scared of him" by now. Not sure what these two are doing now, but I used to love them in high school.
~
COBRA STARSHIP - GOOD GIRLS GO BAD


Cobra Starship recently broke up. (RIP) That's Blair from Gossip Girl, btw. But this video is so damn cool, I refuse to spoil it. It would make the bombest YA or NA.
~
PARAMORE - PLAYING GOD
This is random, but I think Hayley would be great for American Horror Story. All of Paramore's older videos have a thriller-y, horrific feel to them and it's super cool. There's quite a few thrillers on the rise (i.e. Burn Baby Burn, The May Queen Murders), so imagine Paramore as part of their soundtrack, won't you? ;-)
~
Aaaaaaaand that's all, folks. Tell me what you think. Do you listen to Jhene Aiko? Did you listen to 3OH!3 in high school? Are you crazy about Paramore? Is "L.A. Love" your guilty pleasure song, too? Sound off!
~

4 comments:

  1. Ooo I like the What Goes Around Comes Around pick, it actually sounds like it would make a great thriller about a vengeful ex lmao.

    Aentee at Read at Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lolllll. I know, right? Why hasn't anyone done that yet? I think one might be coming up tho.

      Delete
  2. There are some super catchy songs in here! I can easily imagine them being inspiration for some light hearted, hilarious contemporaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's a lot of great ones! Gwen and Carrie are definitely great for contemporaries, heehee.

      Delete