DNF Alert: Magnetic Shift

Lucy D. Briand - Magnetic Shift
Expected publication: April 12, 2016 by Spencer Hill Press
Genres: Science Fiction, Young Adult
Pages: 260
Find on: Amazon, Goodreads, Book Depository
Rating: N/A. (It's a sad, sad DNF.)

The ability to magnetize and manipulate metal with the flick of her wrist makes seventeen-year-old Lexi Adams a crack mechanic, but it’s a disaster in the making when her stepdad trades her skills to NASCAR team owner Dean Grant for an entire season’s worth of sponsorship ads.

Now Lexi has no other choice but to suck it up and hope she can keep her magnetic impulses under control—that is, until she runs into NASCAR’s hot new rookie, Colton Tayler.

When Carl Stacy, the ruthless team owner of the defending Cup Champion, discovers Lexi’s secret and plots to use it to ruin Dean’s race team for good, Lexi must either expose her ability to save Colton, risking Dean’s career and her own freedom in the process, or watch the only guy she’s ever fallen for race to his death.

~
DNF @ 15% 

Yeah, so I DNFed.

I've been DNFing so often lately, I'm beginning to feel terrible, but I honestly think this was necessary. I like sports. Occasionally. I can tolerate the Super Bowl and Tom Brady is a babe, and we're f orgetting the topic at hand.

Magnetic Shift is centered on the subject of NASCAR. Lexi Adams is supposedly a mechanic. One day on the track, she meets a racer named Colton, who has heterochromic eyes and falls head-over-heels for him.

Colton thinks she's fancy and vice-versa and Lexi will do whatever she can to get away from her abusive stepfather. She'd also like to someday inherit her mother's cottage because that's cool.

Lexi also happens to have a special ability, which I didn't stick around long enough to analyze. Unfortunately, she gets headaches and shakes because of it. Carl, the opposing team owner, wants in on it because he thinks he can utilize Lexi's ability to ruin Colton and Dean, a man who has mostly taken care of her, the NASCAR team owner.

And Lexi is a mechanic, right? Right. Maybe because I DNFed, I never saw her actually doing anything technical. But whenever she was on the race track, she was following after Colton. When they first met, he even asked her why she was there.

The book was tiresome. Lexi only followed Dean and Colton around. If the book wanted to be interesting - just a suggestion - it should've taken from the POV of the boys. Or, at least, given Lexi a broader role. Whenever she got a headache because of her "ability", she would half-collapse over a table and Colton would hurry to her side. Sorry, but I simply cannot.

But if you like sports and NASCAR and dystopian twists, this might just be for you. Give it a try.
~

Comments

  1. I... no. It's not often that I am rendered speechless, but here I am. I mean, I will fully admit that NASCAR isn't my cup of tea. But uhh magical dystopian powers? And NASCAR? And what sounds like some kind of indentured servitude? I don't generally like to judge a book by one review but I can't even get through the synopsis. I am sorry. On many levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha. I'm not exactly sure WHY I requested this? I mean, the cover is nice but I probably didn't read the synopsis properly because I'm not even all that into sports / NASCAR. Believe me, I completely understand your qualm. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment