Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Review: Summer of Supernovas

Darcy Woods - Summer of Supernovas
Expected publication: May 10, 2016 by Crown BFYR
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult
Pages: 352
Find on: Amazon, Book Depository, Goodreads
Rating: (Frankly, it broke the star meter. Love ya, Darcy. ;) ) But, anyway, 4.5/5.

As the daughter of an expert astrologer, Wilamena Carlisle knows that the truth lies within the stars. So when she discovers a rare planetary alignment, she is forced to tackle her worst astrological fear – The Fifth House of Relationships and Love. But Wil must decide whether a cosmically doomed love is worth rejecting her mother’s legacy, when she falls for a sensitive guitar player hailing from the wrong side of the chart.

Debut author Darcy Woods explores love in all its complexities and how to best honor the loved ones who have passed before us, in a novel packed with both humor and heart.

~
I want to marry this book.

I mean, it's so adorable. My review will simply not do it justice. Honestly, I don't know where to start. I love everything. It's a cupcake of a read. You will devour it and will be crushed when it ends.

Wilamena "Wil" Carlisle has always believed in following the stars, so she decides to honor her mother's legacy, who was an astronomer, through analyzing them. Unknown to her grandmother, she decides to concentrate solely on the art of astrology, and after meeting Seth and Grant, who coincidentally happen to be brothers, she struggles in choosing whether to listen to her heart or the astrological sign destined for her.

What I loved:
- Grant & Seth - Masterpieces in their own right.
- Astrology.
- D-I-V-E-R-S-I-T-Y.
- Manny/Irina = I SHIP IT.
- Wil says things like: "Oh my stars!"
- Wil's bakery-owning grandmother.
- Every single best friendship in this novel.
- GRANT'S MANNERS.
- The non-slutshaming.
- Wil's jealousy over life itself and anyone who dare to approach her man. Pretty sure she is a long-lost Scorpio.

What I did not:
- The stealth cheating. Undoubtedly in love with Grant, but Wil seriously needs to quit playing.

- Seth's occasional shadiness. (I can't explain without outright spoiling everything, but he'd disappear for numerous pages at a time, and Grant would automatically be around for Wil.)

- What ever happened to Wil's grandfather?

- Not sure of this actually qualifies as something bad, but. The fact jeans are a travesty. Not that it's a total lie, so I don't really hate this (?) Wil wears dresses 99% of the time and if she's forced to wear jeans ever, it's nightmare upon nightmare. Okay, so maybe I don't hate this. Maybe I should just upgrade my fashion sense. Jeans are a travesty. Nevermind.

Besides that, I loved the book and I'm sure it's obvious. It's like a milkshake filled with sparkly, starry sprinkles. I'm infatuated with it - and Grant, of course. He is mine. Mine, I say. Please check it out on behalf of me and all the cupcakes and supernovas in the world. ;-)
~

4 comments:

  1. Yay for diversity and the awesome friendships in this novel! Oh man, that cheating sounds pretty horrible though and Seth with his shadiness as well. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is such a darling YA! So much to fawn over. I hope you check it out!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I've seen this one on Goodreads but yours is the first review I've read. It sounds really good and I'm loving the positives you listed. Plus I can totally relate to the concept because I have a friend that is just like the main character. Added this to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yay! *happy dance* Haha, it's seriously something adorable & I hope you check it out, too! It's currently on NG!

      Delete