Friday, June 24, 2016

DNF Alert: Flawed

Cecelia Ahern - Flawed (Flawed #1)
Published: April 5, 2016 by Feiwel and Friends
Genres: Science Fiction, Romance, Young Adult
Pages: 336
Find on: Amazon, Book Depository, Goodreads
Rating: D-N-F.

You will be punished…

Celestine North lives a perfect life. She’s a model daughter and sister, she’s well-liked by her classmates and teachers, and she’s dating the impossibly charming Art Crevan.

But then Celestine encounters a situation where she makes an instinctive decision. She breaks a rule and now faces life-changing repercussions. She could be imprisoned. She could be branded. She could be found flawed.

In her breathtaking young adult debut, bestselling author Cecelia Ahern depicts a society where perfection is paramount and flaws lead to punishment. And where one young woman decides to take a stand that could cost her everything.

~
I can't be Flawed. I can't be Flawed.
I am perfect.

Well, I'm glad you think so, Celestine.

Remember in Monsters Inc. if one of the monsters accidentally touched a human item (i.e. a sock), the code was called, one of the monsters was considered contaminated, the yellow suits and helicopters swarmed in to de-contaminate the situation? That's this book.

Celestine North believes she lives in a flawless world. She's a model citizen and daughter, and dating the judge's son, Art Crevan. However, her world is more "flawed" (aah, I'm so punny) than its initial appearance. If someone were to disrespect society in any way, they are immediately branded with an F. For Flawed.

One day, Celestine is on the bus with her boyfriend, Art, and her sister, when she notices an older gentleman, who is branded with the fatal letter F for Flawed, choking. No one else seems to notice or care, so she feels obligated to help him. Art insists she doesn't, Celestine tells a few women to change seats with him, one of whom with a broken leg, and the women create a scene. The bus driver stops the bus, Celestine thinks she won, but she's greeted by The Whistleblowers, who arrest her and drag her, screaming, into a police van. Meanwhile, the choking man turns out to be miraculously fine.

Celestine's problem was telling the woman with the broken leg to move. Also: mind your business. 100%: the choking man would've been fine, anyway. The point of Celestine jumping from her seat to help an ailing man was to show how selfless and angelic she is. But did it work out in her favor? Not exactly.

Celestine is taken to the precinct. Her parents find her, crying and disappointed. She needs people to vouch for her innocence. She tries to get her boyfriend and her sister, but suddenly neither are available. Also in the precinct is a conspicuous, shy, sexy bad boy combination, Carrick. He sits in the corner and broods. Mind you, they're the only two in the precinct. Together. Pure irony. Two teenagers of the exact same age. Alone. In a precinct.

I DNFed a minute later. Love you, Cecelia. Loved Love, Rosie as well, but this was immensely disappointing.

4 comments:

  1. Wait what. What? I am so confused? Why would you help some guy who....had an experience with choking? Or did he choke someone else? Why does he need to sit down, movings a woman with a broken leg?

    This book just sounds flawed....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss, this book is such an EPIC MESS. I can't even describe it accurately. He was choking (on air, I assume??) while sitting?? & Celestine told the lady with the broken leg to move to accommodate him. It's all so confusing. hahaha

      Delete
  2. ::Spoiler alert!!:: The choking man dies, dude. So I mean... yeah. But I almost DNFed it too, at that exact point! I honestly don't know what made me continue- sheer stubbornness perhaps? And- I am not proud of this- I ended up LIKING it. What even!? The whole concept/world is SO FUCKING STUPID. It doesn't even get less stupid! I just... I think it was magic, or I was brainwashed or something 😂 Only explanation!

    Your review is SPOT. ON. I cannot explain my actions ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get outta town! He does??? Omg I missed it. I DNFed while Celestine was brooding in the middle of the jailcell and Carrick was admiring her from across the room. Literally, I could not. lolol It's okay! I've liked a few surprisingly unexpected good YAs, too. (i.e. Proof of Forever, the ANNA trilogy) Ahhh, thank you! :D

      Delete