Review: Wanderlost

Jen Malone - Wanderlost
Published: May 31, 2016 by HarperTeen
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult
Pages: 352
Find on: Amazon, Book Depository, Goodreads
Rating: 2.5/5

Not all those who wander are lost, but Aubree Sadler most definitely is on this novel’s whirlwind trip through Europe.

Aubree can’t think of a better place to be than in perfectly boring Ohio, and she’s ready for a relaxing summer. But when her older sister, Elizabeth, gets into real trouble, Aubree is talked into taking over Elizabeth’s summer job, leading a group of senior citizens on a bus tour through Europe.

Aubree doesn’t even make it to the first stop in Amsterdam before their perfect plan unravels, leaving her with no phone, no carefully prepared binder full of helpful facts, and an unexpected guest: the tour company owner’s son, Sam. Considering she’s pretending to be Elizabeth, she absolutely shouldn’t fall for him, but she can’t help it, especially with the most romantic European cities as the backdrop for their love story.

But her relationship with Sam is threatening to ruin her relationship with her sister, and she feels like she’s letting both of them down. Aubree knows this trip may show her who she really is—she just hopes she likes where she ends up.


~
So I was disappointed. (Also, I suck at starting reviews. Blah.)

Aubree "Bree" Sadler has thrown a rager. Fuckboys are everywhere. Her sister, Elizabeth, decides to take the fall when the officers arrive. However, the arriving officer has had bad blood with Elizabeth. After a short disagreement, he arrests her on the spot and Elizabeth is dragged to the police station, hysterical.

Elizabeth realizes she can no longer lead her European Old People Tour due to her pending criminal charge, so she informs Aubree, who is like: "The hell you talking about, sis???" The lightbulb clicks in that moment and Elizabeth decides to relay her touring duties to Aubree. However, Aubree has to pretend to be her.

Okay, so this would never work for me. I look absolutely nothing like my sister. Aubree takes along her sister's passport and other important paperwork, and is repeatedly questioned over her sister's accomplishments and is like: "Oh my gosh, she did THAT?!" You may as well go home.

I couldn't handle Aubree's stupidity. If you've ever read Anna and the French Kiss, you might be reminded of Anna. (i.e. "A cheese shop??? An Austrian McDonalds???" Okay, yes, darling. Those do exist.

I didn't like the old people either. They weren't too interesting. There was a pervy couple. A bitter old woman. One of the ladies broke their arm and decided to stay on the trip, anyway. I admire the resilience, but I wouldn't. It felt like the point of them was to spit occasional wisdom (i.e. The Trouble With Destiny).

Both stars are for Sam. He's adorable, hilarious, and quirky-weird. Their romance was a little instalove-y. Ironically, he does throw instalove a mention in the beginning, though. Such a cutie, he melts my heart into cheesy YA Contemporary goo. The only bad thing about him is that he's an oversharer.

The plot-twist was overdone and unnecessary. Pure irony, the only one who knew about Aubree's secret had to go. No one even grieved. I adore the cover (Titanic feels, anyone?) but I was far from impressed by this YA.

Comments

  1. I have seen nothing but glowing reviews for this I am happy to see a different take!! I think this has elements I would like but a bunch I might not. Thanks for the honest review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course!! Definitely love to be the honest mind here. haha.

      Delete
  2. Bummer!! I get nervous to read books about traveling because I rarely ever like them as much as I think I will. I do love that cover though... the color and YES totally Titanic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I feel like travel YAs could be a hit-or-miss. The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour is ADORABLE. It's a roadtrip/girl band YA. I initially rated it a 3-star, but I've been tempted to raise my rating to a 4-star. Great book if you haven't checked it out already!

      Delete
  3. Aww I am so sorry that this didn't work for you! I admittedly did enjoy it, but the beginning was so... "what now!?" implausible, so I do understand your feelings! I did enjoy the older people, except for the Perversons. They could have stayed home, tbh. And Sam was the BEST! I did adore him, and his insta-love reference was a win too. Hope that your next book works better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam is sooo adorbs. I couldn't get over him, but this book kinda annoyed me. haha. Totally agree about the beginning! It was only worthy of a facepalm. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. GREAT START. I LOVE IT! Hahaha. No but I suck at starting reviews too, like how do people do it?

    Wait, she went to Europe with her sister's passport? Um...isn't that a huge...illegal thing? Can you even pass as that? Do they not do fingerprinting or whatever? Wow. And yeah, I did not like Anna and the French Kiss much (not sure if you're implying you did or didn't), but this seems really similar to that book. As much as I love traveling, I might have to pass on this one!

    Thanks for the review Peach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH VAL YOU'RE AWESOME. *breaks confetti cannons in your honor*

      UM, RIGHT?? I've never been on a plane, but I know you have to go through all this intense security, like fingerprinting and removing your shoes.

      Yeah, ANNA was very dense about pretty much everything. I liked it only during my first read, but I do occasionally reread a few of the cuter scenes. Wanderlost is definitely worth the pass. It's very instalove-y. Thanks, Val!

      Delete

Post a Comment