Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Review: Wink Poppy Midnight

April Genevieve Tucholke - Wink Poppy Midnight
Published: March 22, 2016 by Dial Books
Genres: Magical Realism, Thriller, Young Adult
Pages: 247
Find on: Amazon, Book Depository, Goodreads
Rating: 3.5/5

Every story needs a hero.
Every story needs a villain.
Every story needs a secret.

Wink is the odd, mysterious neighbor girl, wild red hair and freckles. Poppy is the blond bully and the beautiful, manipulative high school queen bee. Midnight is the sweet, uncertain boy caught between them. Wink. Poppy. Midnight. Two girls. One boy. Three voices that burst onto the page in short, sharp, bewitching chapters, and spiral swiftly and inexorably toward something terrible or tricky or tremendous.

What really happened?
Someone knows.
Someone is lying.

~
This is my fave. I mean, come on.

Poppy and Midnight are dating. But when the eccentric, manic pixie dream girl-in-disguise, Wink arrives. Midnight immediately loses interest in Poppy and climbs (quite literally) on Wink's party train, Poppy is not fond of this plan, so with help from her clique, The Yellows, she sets out to make Wink's life miserable.

I see no point in Midnight's character. I think the book may as well been titled: Poppy & Wink. Poppy and Wink are badass and weird and quirky. They have fabulous fashion sense, Wink reads tarot cards with her mother, Poppy probably belongs in therapy, and Midnight only stands in the background, like: "Stop it! Stop fighting, you guys!"

First of all: I hate eccentric names. If you're going to name your child, Apple or Goldfish, I hope you have a great reason behind it. No one's name - mainly, Midnight - was ever questioned. We also have a set of twins named Hops and Moon. And to be honest, this book reminds me of tumblr aesthetic.
"Buttercup and Zoe popped tomatoes into each other's mouths, bright red lips closing around bright red tomatoes. Their black dresses and striped socks jarred with the lush trees behind them. They both had on matching skull backpacks, though school was long out. Buttercup's black hair was in a tight, sleek braid and Zoe had slicked down her short curls and looked like a thirties movie star. They gave us the side-eye while they chewed, tomato seeds on their chins."
Um, alrighty.

Here's one of my only problems with the book. When Poppy was locked in the abandoned house for hours upon hours, why did no one come looking for her? Where were her parents? Her clique? And as they're dragging along Wink's mother to help, she's all: "hold up lemme read your palms first." Um, there's a half-dead girl in the shed, mind you??

I adored this insanely. I shipped Leaf/Poppy far too much. To the point, I was actually feeling bad for Poppy. (Yeah, I know. Ooh. Wow.) I could've done without Midnight, but otherwise, it's a crazy absorbing read and I think quite a few of you will be stunned silly by it.

10 comments:

  1. I totally agree-- Midnight was there for why??? I wanted to like this book so hard, but IDK... maybe it was too weird for me?? I have problems "getting" these types of book. I need more plot or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda like it/kinda don't?? It's interesting & quirky, though. hahah. I really didn't see any sort of plot either tbh.

      Delete
  2. Yeah I don't know what the point of Midnight was either? (I also didn't know what the point was for the whole book, but that's just me aha). And THE NAMES. Like WHY would you name your child that? It reminds me how Instagram filters are now the most popular names for children these days. Like why. (Although to be fair, I think the names fit the book a lot)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS. WHAT was the point of Midnight's presence? Wink and Poppy needed to go Thelma & Louise on him, and just zoom off in a sassy SUV or something. lol, I swear I'm still not over that Instagram child name thing. Traumatizing. hahaha.

      Delete
  3. The name thing would drive me insane. I am with you if there isn't a good reason it just seems weird!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yessss! it was so annoying. I ALWAYS question the names. I'm like: "come on now, you freakazoids. this wouldn't work in real-life." hahah

      Delete
  4. Ohhh this book was WEIRD. XD And slightly messy. And omg I totally agree about the weird tumblr aeasthetic. haha. oh dear. The names were rather over-the-top and it was a bit odd that EVERYONE'S names were like that? Like I get Wink's family and all...but all the other families?? I HAVE QUESTIONS. XD But I did still enjoy the whimsical tone of this one and the audiobook was amazing! :D

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, how I lurve tumblr aesthetic, but yeah, this one was overboard?? It was like almond butter in jars, tarot card readings, all the eccentric names, etc. Calm down a bit?? Thanks, Cait! :)

      Delete
  5. I've seen this one around but didn't know if I should check it out - seems like I should! I'm with you about the name thing, it always seems odd to me as well. Seems like other than those two small issues it was a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss, you should! It's so good. It's quirky weirdness, but I love it. The only annoyance in the book - to me, at least - is Midnight, but it's very, very minor. Hope you love it!

      Delete