DNF Alert: The Girls

Emma Cline - The Girls
Published: June 14, 2016 by Random House
Genres: Adult, Romance
Pages: 355
Find on: Amazon, Book Depository, Goodreads
Rating: DNF. Bah. Wah.
 
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • An indelible portrait of girls, the women they become, and that moment in life when everything can go horribly wrong—this stunning first novel is perfect for readers of Jeffrey Eugenides’s The Virgin Suicides and Jennifer Egan’s A Visit from the Goon Squad. Northern California, during the violent end of the 1960s. At the start of summer, a lonely and thoughtful teenager, Evie Boyd, sees a group of girls in the park, and is immediately caught by their freedom, their careless dress, their dangerous aura of abandon. Soon, Evie is in thrall to Suzanne, a mesmerizing older girl, and is drawn into the circle of a soon-to-be infamous cult and the man who is its charismatic leader. Hidden in the hills, their sprawling ranch is eerie and run down, but to Evie, it is exotic, thrilling, charged—a place where she feels desperate to be accepted. As she spends more time away from her mother and the rhythms of her daily life, and as her obsession with Suzanne intensifies, Evie does not realize she is coming closer and closer to unthinkable violence.

Emma Cline’s remarkable debut novel is gorgeously written and spellbinding, with razor-sharp precision and startling psychological insight. The Girls is a brilliant work of fiction.
~
DNF @ 62%
(...) I turned the music down. Shut the refrigerator door, which Suzanne had left open. The picked-over carcass of the kitchen. Kona chicken, as Mitch had insisted: the sight made me a little nauseous. The too-pink flesh emanating a chill. I would always be like this, I thought, the person who closed the refrigerator.
Yeah, so this didn't really work well with me.

The '60s are coming to a winding close. Evie Boyd is fourteen, her parents are newly-divorced, her father has left her mother for a younger woman, and her mother is a promiscuous little thang, so when she gets involved with a plethora of underdeveloped side-characters Manson-esque baddies. As her relationship with her mother strains further, her relationship with ringleaders Suzanne and Russell progresses, as they coerce her away her family, lounge around a disgusting ranch, and convince her to steal $ cash from her mother. Because that's nice.

This writing annoyed me x1000. Because Evie, who is fourteen, was constantly sounding like she was writing a college essay on sex ed. (i.e. "When I was young"/"The first time I was intimate") I skimmed several reviews, and apparently it's discovered later on, she's in her 50s and was reminiscing on her teen years. Save it for the high school reunion, hon.

Also: her mother wasn't even that bad. She had relationship trouble, or I don't know, she was overly-promiscuous. It was very innocent. Her mother still cooked for her. Evie was a bratty, petty teenager.At one point, they have a semi-serious argument, Evie's mother slaps her across the face and tells her to never come back, but after a day with the infamous Baddies, she returns and the incident is never referenced. Um, I thought your mother was ready to emancipate you?!  

This reminds me a teensy bit of I'll Give You The Sun, a book everyone adored but neither of which. worked. for. me.

Comments

  1. This sounds extra fun! I'm lying, it sounds awful. I read another review that felt similarly- like her being in this Manson-esque group didn't even make sense. It almost sounds like the cult is just there for shock value. I can't deal with kids basically using their parents' drama as an excuse to go act like an asshole- especially when said parents' behavior doesn't actually have anything to do with them. Pass on this one! Sorry this was such a mess for you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! I'm tired of these Manson-esque books, but I get the point of them tbh. Either way, I'm gonna give up on them for obvious reasons. I hate the stealing from your parents' thing, too?? If I did, I'd confess immediately. Seek therapy and move on with your life omg. Definitely worth the pass!

      Delete

Post a Comment