DNF Alert: The Leaving

Tara Altebrando - The Leaving
Published: June 7, 2016 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Genres: Thriller, Romance, Young Adult
Find on: Amazon, Book Depository, Goodreads
Rating: A saaaad, maaad DNF

Six were taken. Eleven years later, five come back--with no idea of where they've been.

Eleven years ago, six kindergarteners went missing without a trace. After all that time, the people left behind moved on, or tried to.

Until today. Today five of those kids return. They're sixteen, and they are . . . fine. Scarlett comes home and finds a mom she barely recognizes, and doesn't really recognize the person she's supposed to be, either. But she thinks she remembers Lucas. Lucas remembers Scarlett, too, except they're entirely unable to recall where they've been or what happened to them. Neither of them remember the sixth victim, Max. He doesn't come back. Everyone wants answers. Most of all Max's sister Avery, who needs to find her brother--dead or alive--and isn't buying this whole memory-loss story.

~
This is a wild case of "it's not you, it's me." The concept is amazing, but I *personally* thought it was lamebrains.

Eleven years ago, six kindergarteners have gone missing. Were they taken? Did they just...wander? So when they return, at sixteen, only five of them have reappeared. None of them have any recollection of their kidnapping or their years in captivity. Scarlett returns to a home she barely recognizes, Lucas is re-welcomed into a more tragic home life, and they believe they're dating/in love?

One of the children, Max, has remained missing. His younger sister, Avery, isn't sold by their story of memory loss. Understandably. The formatting is slightly similar to Hopkins's Tilt, and the book does start off fantastically. But after the first 50 pages, it just goes downhill.

My interest went straight down the trash chute when Scarlett's mother attempted to explain a "conspiracy theory" behind the infamous kidnapping, which included a possible alien abduction, so that's that. If you want a genuine book on this topic, Stolen and Living Dead Girl make great options.

Comments

  1. I almost DNF'd after the alien thing too. I read on because I just HAD to know what the deal was. But it turned out the deal wasn't as cool as I thought it would be. I read the book super fast, so I give it props for that, but I HATED Avery with a passion. She became a mega-stalker type as the book went on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss, messy read! I'm literally the slowest reader. hahaa, but I had a print arc of this and it was really draggy. Eek. I hate the stalker-types. There was one of those in Some of the Parts.

      Delete
  2. Bwhahah I love this. I mean, the alien thing was so weird, but i at least liked that everyone KNEW it was weird. I had kind of hoped that it'd take a grand turn into Scarlett committing her mom to some kind of psychiatric facility, but alas... I liked the book, didn't LOVE it, but liked it. Sorry that it was a big old mess for you though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My review is so short, lolz. I swear, I had no idea. #awkward Omg thank you so much for spoiling. Literally, bahah. I gave away my copy, and I need to know how this wacky book finished. hahah. It so didn't work for me. Thanks!! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment