Review: Lost in Love

Susane Colasanti - Lost in Love (City Love #2)
Published: May 3, 2016 by Katherine Tegen Books
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult
Pages: 352
Find on: Amazon, Book Depository, Goodreads
Rating: 3/5

In this second book of the City Love trilogy by bestselling author Susane Colasanti, three girls share a Manhattan apartment the summer before college begins. Lost in Love captures the essence of summer love, self-discovery, and sisterhood, a perfect fit for fans of Sarah Dessen, Jenny Han, and Jennifer E. Smith.

Sadie was convinced that Austin was her soul mate, but after discovering his secret she wonders if she even knows him at all. Darcy was all about fun boy adventures with no strings attached . . . until her ex moves to New York City to win her back. Things are getting serious with Rosanna and her boyfriend, but will she be able to break free of her past and let him in? With no parents, no rules, and an entire city to explore, this is the summer that will change their lives forever.

Told from alternating points of view, Lost in Love weaves a story of first love, first heartbreak, and everything in between.


~
I don't know why I bother.

I abhorred City Love. I'm sure Susane Colasanti is a great author, but she just doesn't appeal to me. I went into Lost in Love, hoping for something different and received not.

Darcy, Rosanna, and Sadie have all been hit with curveballs. Quite literally. Rosanna is still dating the luscious D. No pun intended, I assure you. But after his high school friend returns to town, needing help, D suddenly has no time for her. Sadie is still dealing with the aftermath of Austin's revelation, and Darcy has rekindled her old romance with her old boyfriend, Logan.

Austin was revealed to be married, which is confusing. So he basically cheated on his wife with Sadie and had no problem doing so. Like, he knew how to cheat. (i.e. "Oh, I convinced my wife to take a trip to her mother's house.") I haven't read City Love since my review, but aren't all of them eighteen/nineteen-year olds? How old was he when he got married, then?

D (His name is Donovan. I can't take that nickname serious.) is still the same angel from the last book. He offers to pay for everything and Rosanna, who prides herself on being poor, tries to refuse his every offer. Unrealistic fiction. He tries to help a good friend, who Rosanna insults for her blonde hair and bodycon dress.

Logan and Darcy rekindle their uninteresting romance in two seconds flat. He dumped her, prior to the series, which was why she was such a hater in the first book. I wasn't allured by their relationship. There's a moment where Darcy cooks "something 30% edible" and Logan is hesitant to eat it, and Darcy gets all emotional and the other girls coddle her like feminist rabbits. Like, I wouldn't eat it either. Chill.

But I was glad to see the girls hang out more. In the last book, they barely interacted. One of the prime, continuous problems I've had this book is the college aspect. They are never seen going to class. I recently watched one of Susane's interviews on this book, and apparently the CITY LOVE trilogy takes place over the summer. The first book is in June, the second is in July, the third August, yaknow?) Okay, coolio. But how are they living in a college-owned apartment, then? One of them complains about her art history professor, at one point, but that's it. And they're seen going to a bar. The legal drinking age in NYC is 21. Biggest pet peeve. My sister is thirty-seven and she still gets asked for her ID. Yeesh.

I think I'll continue this series because it's becoming a guilty pleasure of mine. Plus, there's one more book. So.

Comments