Friday, July 22, 2016

Review: My Unscripted Life

Lauren Morrill - My Unscripted Life
Expected publication: October 11, 2016 by Delacorte
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult
Pages: 288
Find on: Amazon, Book Depository, Goodreads
Rating: 3/5

Perfect for fans of Jennifer L. Smith and Huntley Fitzpatrick, you'll love this funny and sweet contemporary romance about a Southern girl ready for a ho-hum summer until she meets the boy of her dreams who happens to be an international pop star.

Sometimes love stories go off script.

Another sultry Georgia summer is about to get a lot hotter. Dee Wilkie is still licking her wounds after getting rejected by the precollege fine arts program of her dreams. But if she'd gone away, she wouldn't have been around to say yes to an unbelievable opportunity: working on the set of a movie filming in her small Southern town that just happens to be starring Milo Ritter, the famous pop star Dee (along with the rest of the world) has had a crush since eighth grade.

It's not like Dee will be sharing any screen time with Milo—she's just a lowly PA. And Milo is so disappointingly rude that Dee is eager to stay far away from him. Except after a few chance meetings, she begins to wonder if just maybe there's a reason for his offensive attitude, and if there's more to Milo than his good looks and above-it-all Hollywood pedigree. Can a relationship with a guy like Milo ever work out for a girl like Dee? Never say never. . .

~
Lauren Morrill has officially restored my faith in her work.

The Trouble With Destiny was a huge disappointment. Liza was a horrible, bitter, would-be leader MC. Whereas, Dee has one genuine friend at the very least.

Deanna "Dee" Wilkie has just been rejected from a prominent fine arts program. Dejected, she has no idea what she's going to do with the remainder of her summer, as her best friend, Naz, who is also artsy, has been accepted for the same program and is happily about to skip town.

So while she and Naz are casually brunchin', a man approaches them because his GPS has gone wacky. In thanks for helping him, he tells them he's going to be filming a movie nearby with the Milo Ritter, a famous popstar. Dee is monstrously obsessed with him, so she applies for the job as an intern and is accepted, much to Naz's worry.

Quickly, Dee meets Milo and her vocabulary and thoughts were worthy of secondhand embarrassment.

His face is the same one that's stared out at me from four album covers and countless magazines. I've seen those lips singing into the camera on TV and telling charming anecdotes on late-night talk shows. I've seen those dimples scroll by in GIFsets online and watched what must be hours of videos featuring those electric-blue eyes (not that I'd admit to still watching those).
Okay, okay, okay, I know. We've all had our own fantasies about a celebrity, but this was a little too...psycho? Yeah, I don't know, but maybe you to need to have a glass of water to quell your thirst before you corner the alleged bad boy in their dressing room.

Sadly, Milo is used to psychotic fangirls. Or maybe he isn't. Either way, he has a bad attitude, which would be an immediate turn-off. Celebrity or not. The thing about bad boys, I like how they're cruel to the world but not to us, yaknow? Milo was not that, although I wouldn't exactly consider him a bad boy. He continuously approaches for Dee for conversation. Soon, their relationship evolves into something further.

The reason for Milo's broodiness was a broken heart. I felt he was using Dee to get back at his ex-girlfriend, so I was never entirely sold by Milo to begin with. Eventually,  the very same ex-girlfriend appears on-set as his "on-screen love interest" to create mostly harmless drama.

The lack of paparazzi was weird. Has anyone ever watched E! News or Access Hollywood? Hordes of paparazzo be camping outside the movie sets, waiting outside the cars/houses/workplaces of actors/actresses/reality stars. For the most part, a few grainy photos are published, like it's the '90s, and Dee's email account is bombarded.

I adoooored the friendship of Naz & Dee. They're so adorable. Also: Naz is so hilarious. I'm obsessed with her. There's a lot of awesome sets of parents. Dee's mother writes erotica, much to her dismay. Hilarious. AND THE DINER SCENES. MY. FAVE. Any mention of food and/or pastry gets me going.
"Ryan Burke is the reason you still have six black T-shirts in your wardrobes and a stack of comic books on your shelf."

"Graphic novels," I reply, thinking about the unread works of Alan Moore that at least look pretty cool alongside my collection of vintage art books.
This also handles a lot of the behind-the-scenes process well. (I had no idea the wine in the glasses wasn't actual wine. I thought the actors were getting full-on wasted. #Bummer) The ending is far from unrealistic. I kinda expected it to end like My Scene Goes Hollywood, but it was still happy-cheesy, so that's always cute, I guess. I wish this was publishing earlier as well, like late-August. It would make the perfect beach-read. And the acknowledgements. Aaaaah, so pure, I cried. I feel like Lauren Morrill is an author who grows with her every book. Despite its minorities, I was irrevocably fond of this.

6 comments:

  1. I've been wary of this author's books ever since Meant to Be and then all the books after it seemed to follow a very similar formula. Mainly, a super type-A girl and a wild-child boy who breaks down her walls. This sounds like it could be headed a tiny bit away from that??? I also don't usually love books that have a celebrity and a normal girl in love books. I'll have to think on this one.... glad you liked it though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read Meant to Be, but I HAVE read The Trouble With Destiny & it wasn't exactly ideal. I typically hate the wild-child boys because authors (usually) try so hard with them. haha, yeah I know what you mean. I'm never sold by the small-town girl/celebrity romance, but this has its cutesy moments, surprisingly. Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. Wow this book sounds horrible. I'm sad that the main character was so bitter and annoying. I don't think I'd enjoy the romance either. Also the lack of paparazzi doesn't seem realistic. Also the descriptions by the main character for the love interest are so eye-roll worthy.

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey certainly were! I mean, Dee was more tolerable than Liza (the MC of The Trouble of Destiny) thankfully, but this book was def something, and there's a lot of food mentions, too. hahah

      Delete
  3. I've not read much about this one, but the cover sure is cute. :) The Trouble with Destiny is the only good I read by Lauren and if I remember right, I liked it fine though it wasn't my favorite YA contemporary. Thanks for reviewing his one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, The Trouble With Destiny wasn't exactly my *favorite* read because TWC's MC, Liza, was so petty, but this one was more enjoyable and fun, by far. I know, right?? The cover is so cute & summery! Thanks, Rissi!! :D

      Delete