Blog Tour: 10 Tell Me Something Reals: Bookspirations Edition!

TELL ME SOMETHING REAL is a striking, memorable, enrapturing debut. Sisters, Adrienne, Vanessa, and Marie - are at turmoil when their mother is diagnosed with terminal cancer. Calla Devlin wraps you and sucks you in and knocks you clean-dry, especially with that plot-twist. During a few latter parts in the book, I literally stepped away from it and just started randomly pacing, like a freak. I KNOW. Read the book and you'll see why. No questions asked.

Calla was kind enough to share a few bookspirations, and if you may not know, bookish recs. As they're a few of my favorite things, I relish in them. Read on below to boost your TBR and cry over it later ooh and aah over a whole new list of books.
 ~
1. Lovely, Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara: Such a beautifully written book about grief. Sentence after sentence took my breath away and I loved the development of the narrator. Absolutely gorgeous.
2. I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson: In addition to the poetic precision of her writing, I love a novel that explores the power of art.
3. Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Blunt: This is one of the best books I’ve read about family dynamics, especially involving secrets. A wonderful and emotionally satisfying read.
4. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart: Gorgeous writing. Huge twist. Wow.
5. Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman: When I was in high school, Whitman was the first poet who really moved me and I wanted Vanessa, the narrator of Tell Me Something Real to feel that same connection. Writing that is powerful, beautiful, and grounding.
6. The Beat Poets, from Neeli Cherkovski to Jack Kerouac to Lawrence Ferlinghetti: I wanted Caleb, the love interest in Tell Me Something Real, to lose himself in books, and the Beats were a perfect fit for a boy who teetered on losing everything but ultimately discovered personal freedom.
7. Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson: probably the best book about illness that I have ever read. I must have read this one at least a dozen times and I learn something new with each read.
8. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides: Set in the seventies. Five mysterious sisters. Incredible writing.
9. If I Stay by Gayle Forman: I loved everything about this book, from the honest exploration of grief to the narrator’s love of her family, and the power of music.
10. The Lover by Marguerite Duras: This novel captured the mystique of traveling into a new culture and a relation with very high stakes. I absolutely love her lyrical and fragmented writing.  
~ 
ABOUT TELL ME SOMETHING REAL:
Three sisters struggle with the bonds that hold their family together as they face a darkness settling over their lives in this masterfully written debut novel.

There are three beautiful blond Babcock sisters: gorgeous and foul-mouthed Adrienne, observant and shy Vanessa, and the youngest and best-loved, Marie. Their mother is ill with leukemia and the girls spend a lot of time with her at a Mexican clinic across the border from their San Diego home so she can receive alternative treatments.

Vanessa is the middle child, a talented pianist who is trying to hold her family together despite the painful loss that they all know is inevitable. As she and her sisters navigate first loves and college dreams, they are completely unaware that an illness far more insidious than cancer poisons their home. Their world is about to shatter under the weight of an incomprehensible betrayal…
 

LINKS: Amazon | B&N | Indiebound | iBooks | The Book Depository

ABOUT CALLA DEVLIN:
Calla Devlin is a Pushcart nominee and winner of the Best of Blood and Thunder Award whose stories have been included in numerous literary journals and in anthologies, including Because I Love Her: 34 Women Writers Reflect on the Mother-Daughter Bond, for which she was featured in the San Francisco Chronicle and San Francisco Magazine. 

Tell Me Something Real is her first book.


LINKS: Website | Twitter 
Tour Schedule:
Week 1:
8/23: Pondering the Prose - Review
Week 2:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Comments

  1. The only book I have read on this list is If I Stay and sadly, I wasn't a huge fan of that book. I am looking forward to reading We Were Liars! I have heard some amazing things about that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I loved If I Stay, actually. haha. Only the book, though. The movie was horrible. I know! I've heard such great things about We Were Liars as well!

      Delete
  2. I'm reading I'll Give You the sun right now. The author's words are art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying it, Danielle! I recently read it, but wasn't too fond. Maybe I'll go back to check it out, sometime!

      Delete

Post a Comment