Thursday, August 25, 2016

Review: A Week of Mondays

Jessica Brody - A Week of Mondays
Published: August 2, 2016 by Farrar, Strauss and Giroux (BYR)
Genres: Contemporary, Magical Realism, Realistic Fiction, Young Adult
Pages: 464
Find on: Amazon, Book Depository, Goodreads
Rating: 4/5

When I made the wish, I just wanted a do-over. Another chance to make things right. I never, in a million years, thought it might actually come true... 
   
Sixteen-year-old Ellison Sparks is having a serious case of the Mondays. She gets a ticket for running a red light, she manages to take the world’s worst school picture, she bombs softball try-outs and her class election speech (note to self: never trust a cheerleader when she swears there are no nuts in her bake-sale banana bread), and to top it all off, Tristan, her gorgeous rocker boyfriend suddenly dumps her. For no good reason!

As far as Mondays go, it doesn’t get much worse than this. And Ellie is positive that if she could just do it all over again, she would get it right. So when she wakes up the next morning to find she’s reliving the exact same day, she knows what she has to do: stop her boyfriend from breaking up with her. But it seems no matter how many do-overs she gets or how hard Ellie tries to repair her relationship, Tristan always seems bent set on ending it. Will Ellie ever figure out how to fix this broken day? Or will she be stuck in this nightmare of a Monday forever?

From the author 52 Reasons to Hate My Father and The Unremembered trilogy comes a hilarious and heartwarming story about second (and third and fourth and fifth) chances. Because sometimes it takes a whole week of Mondays to figure out what you really want.

~
I was tempted to post my review on a Monday, but I would probably forget and/or somehow mispost it, so.

Ellison Sparks is dating a rockstar. Sort-of. Tristan Wheeler - which is so reminiscent of Yu-Gi-Oh, come on - is the ultimate punk-rock sexysex combination. But when he dumps on a Monday, she couldn't be further flabbergasted. Her day has already been filled with a series of mishaps: she received a parking ticket, missed volleyball tryouts and completely bombed the class election speech, and the head cheerleader (oh, dear me) sold her banana bread with almonds. Okay, but really. Beware the ever-fatal allergy reaction. As if her day hadn't already been a giant shitshow, her dreamboat boyfriend, Tristan, dumps her at the carnival.

Later that night, Ellison wishes to magically redo her Monday and she wakes up, reliving the exact previous day for the next six days. Ellison attempts to fix her and Tristan's relationship - at times, humorously - but most days carry the same outcome.

This is pretty much a comedic version of Before I Fall. There are no serious deaths involved. Unless you count that poor, deranged bird.

My problem with this is: Owen. I like him, but I also don't. He's a great friend and he should've remained that way. He's enormously funny, too. The only thing, he's too trusting. If my friend was like, "I'm reliving the same Monday over and OVER. HELP ME." I would've considered driving her to the hospital, instead.

Also, there are flashbacks of Ellison and Tristan's relationships interwoven throughout the story, which border on cutesy and mildly psychotic. Whenever Tristan held her hand/touched her arm/breathed, "OMG. I can't believe we're in the same room. I'm just an ordinary girl. Who even am I?" Tristan also writes a generic love song about a generic unnamed girl and Ellison automatically assumes he wrote it for her, so whenever he dedicates it to anyone else, she fumes. Pour yourself a nice glass of Calm Yourself, Kate. Puh-lease.

Okay, but Ellison had to be magical or something. She wished for her Monday to be fixed overnight and it was. Not by a birthday candle or anything. She just wished, went to sleep. Boom. A week of havoc shall follow. Still, it made no sense. No traumatizing event happened beforehand. She didn't encounter someone slightly mystical. No comprendo.

I was only slightly satisfied with the ending. Ellison should've ended the book as a singular. Jumping on Owen was random as hell. Plus, they had such a great friendship. Why ruin that? Anyway, I liked it better than Boys of Summer, at least.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh I like the idea of a less serious Before I Fall!!! I also really liked Jessica Brody's 52 Reasons to Hate My Father and have been waiting for her to write something in that wheelhouse for a WHILE.... so I'm definitely going to read this. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so adorable & hilarious, I hope you get the chance to read it soon!! I think you'll love it. Ooooh, I haven't had the chance to read 52 Reasons yet. I've only read Boys of Summer. Will definitely have to check it out!

      Delete
  2. I have seen this one around and kind of dismissed it for some reason. I like the idea of the comedic version of Before I Fall. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll love it, Grace. It's undeniably adorable!

      Delete