Review: Sprinkle Glitter On My Grave

Jill Kargman - Sprinkle Glitter On My Grave: Observations, Rants, and Other Uplifting Thoughts About Life
Published: September 6, 2016 by Ballantine Books
Genres: Humor, Nonfiction
Pages: 224
Find on: Amazon, Book Depository, Goodreads
Rating: 4/5

Imagine if New York A-lister Nora Ephron had a love child with America’s most-loved comedic scribe, David Sedaris. Their spawn would be Jill Kargman, the bestselling novelist turned satirist and star of Bravo’s break-out scripted comedy, Odd Mom Out. Now Kargman shares her razor-sharp wit and backhanded wisdom in a deeply observed and outrageously funny collection of musings, lists, essays, and outrages. From the life-affirming outlook she got from her death-obsessed family (including the antithesis to her Goth aesthetic, ray of sunshine sister-in-law Drew Barrymore) to the appreciation for land (and limbs) she got from swimming with sharks off the South African coast, to the adrenaline-pumping experience that is a Gay Pride parade, Sprinkle Glitter on My Grave is a book about life, death, and everything that happens in between, that will both entertain and inspire.

~

Okay, so I'm mildly obsessed with Jill and I don't understand the hate about this book. I mean, I understand slightly. She's rich, but you had to already know that going into this read. Get over yourselves. Jill is definitely the type of friend I'd want if I lived on the Upper East Side. She's such a goddamn blast of a human-being.

Jill Kargman is the star/writer/executive producer of Odd Mom Out. If you're not watching that show, there's something seriously wrong with your life. And no, I'm not a mom. Even if you're not, you can find yourself relating to several scenes. Just as a woman. The mammogram scene, the mortifying reunion with your ex. Just so you know, I don't care for Brooke's storyline. My mind blanks on it every time.

SPRINKLE GLITTER ON MY GRAVE chronicles portions of Jill's life, including her first pregnancy, the misadventures of her children, her obsession with death, coincidentally being the (former) sister-in-law of Drew Barrymore, and being unlucky enough to have a hot sibling.

Jill is hilarious and so relatable, and she reminds you of her on-screen persona. She includes lists of Dos/Donts and cute little doodles. She raised her children well and they sound not-spoiled. The only thing that annoyed me about this book was the occasional mention of rich things. Well, #RichPeopleProbs, which were subtle in some places, and not in others. ("If I were to choke and die on steak-") And I was slightly weirded out by how normal her children appeared with the idea of death, too. Just me, though.

AND she also sounds really nice. Like, she's annoyed by line-cutters and those people who leave the Starbucks coffee counter a mess. I agree entirely, Jill, but I'm one of those people. Even though I hate them, too. Sorry! #doublestandard

But seriously, I adored this book. It's hilarious, Jill has a hot brother (apparently) (I Googled him, he's on the B+ level of sexy), how lovely her parents are, and one nightmarish, sweaty trip to Disneyland. ;) Read and find out. It's a doozy.

Comments