Thursday, January 5, 2017

2016!: End of Year Survey


SO. I'm technically five days late because we're already obviously in '17, but I don't care. I like these type of posts and they're awesome and the bloggers who do them are awesome. All of this awesomeness, including the images, belongs to Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner.


Number Of Books You Read: GR was being an ass, and I couldn't find the official count of my 2016 Challenge, so I'm going to assume 35. AKA: I failed my challenge.
Number of Re-Reads: About 3.

Genre You Read The Most From: I have a feeling, it would be YA Contemporary. It's problematic, at times, but I shall rep it to the end.

1. Best Book You Read In 2016?

Last Seen Leaving by Caleb Roehrig, I think. It really is so phenomenal.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Heartless by Marissa Meyer. No lie, it really is a phenomenal read. There are rose macarons and boys with golden eyes and great kiss scenes, but I was slightly let down.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?

Last Seen Leaving by Caleb Roehrig. It was all types of badassery and I expected none of it.

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?

Well, I don't really rec books to people because they don't read them. The people I know in IRL, that is. I recced Heart of the Matter to my sister, gave her my copy and all, and she's using it as decoration in her house now. Back when I first read ANNA by Stephanie Perkins, I recced it to a complete stranger when I was getting my new glasses.

5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?

Best series of all time: Starflight.
Best sequel: Summer Days and Summer Nights: Edited by Stephanie Perkins

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?

Oooh! A whole lotta debuts, that's for sure. Especially since I recently got back into reading, I'll name a few others: Susane Colasanti, Alison Cherry, Corey Ann Haydu, Claire Legrand, Dahlia Adler, Kathryn Holmes, E.K. Johnston, and Emery Lord.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

This is a tough one, actually. Maybe since it's a "boy's version of YA" I'll go with the Haters by Jesse Andrews. There are a lot of gross, immature jokes in this book. A lot of my IRL friends are guys, actually, so I sometimes faze them out when they start acting immature.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston. Firstly, that cover is such a knockout. Secondly, it's so intense in every aspect and all the female friendships and I just adore it. It's so real in every aspect.

9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl by Gretchen McNeil because it's so adorable and positive, or Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?

Summer of Supernovas by Darcy Woods (#QUEEN) or Starflight by Melissa Landers.

11. Most memorable character of 2016?

Adrienne from Tell Me Something Real, the sister of the MC. I can only describe her character as unfortunate. She's not funny, but she curses like crazy and everyone is forced to be okay with her horrible attitude. Saying that, I relate to her.

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?

Starflight by Melissa Landers. Not a fan of sci-fi YA, but that one is absolutely stunning.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?

Hour of The Bees by Lindsay Eagar, Some Kind of Happiness by Claire Legrand, or Fall of the Butterflies by Andrea Portes. The first two are MGs and those usually make me sit and ponder. Fall of the Butterflies was more-so, thought-provoking.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur. I'm ashamed I waited this long to snag a copy. My copy arrived yesterday and I finished it in one sitting, then read it again on the bus home. It's so inviting and familiar and enrapturing and I usually hate poetry.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?

Technically, this is not even a 2016 read, it's from The Revenge Playbook, which published in 2015.

“The Cyrus-Swift Phenomenon. Taylor Swift has had, like, eighteen boyfriends, but everyone still thinks she’s really classy because she’s just so poised and sweet and appropriate-looking. Meanwhile, Miley Cyrus was with the same guy for practically forever, and people are always calling her a slut. And I’m not saying we should be calling T. Swift a slut instead—even if you do date a lot of guys, you don’t deserve that. What I’m saying is, when it comes to popular opinion, it’s all about the persona.”
Rachael Allen, The Revenge Playbook

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?

Shortest: Milk and Honey, sadly. Longest: Heartless by Marissa Meyer. I used to love long books, but it depends on their genre because they could annoy me.

 17. Book That Shocked You The Most

No spoilers, but the plot twist from Calla Devlin's Tell Me Something Real was so wild, I had to walk away from the book briefly. Too much.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR:

Not a 2016 pair, but John Ambrose McClaren/Lara Jean. Please don't fail us, Jenny Han. In regards to a 2016 read, Starflight's Cassia/Kane.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year:

The Graces from, well, the Graces. They're so problematic, but I'm obsessed with them.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen. I adore Sarah's work. It isn't by favorite book by her, surely, but fries and pizza are namedropped frequently. The love interest is a pizza delivery guy.

21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:

People tend to rec me books occasionally on GR and I almost always wanna check them out, but I never do. And anytime I see some of my blogger friends reading a book on my wishlist, I'll pray to the discount gods of B&N.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?

Jest from Marissa Meyer's Heartless. Read it.

23. Best 2016 debut you read?

Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn, Dig Too Deep, Underwater by Marisa Reichardt.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

Ooooh, Starflight!

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

Robin Reul's My Kind of Crazy was immensely hilarious.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?

My Kind of Crazy made me cry a little. So did Some Kind of Happiness. I haven't read a book that has made flatout bawl in a while, surprisingly.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

Dig Too Deep by Amy Allgeyer, Rani Patel In Full Effect, and Lucky Few by Kathryn Osmbree are all this. I wish I saw more about these books because they're all so phenomenal, none of them in any particular order,

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

Heartless by Marissa Meyer. Heed one of my above comments.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?

The Love That Split the World by Emily Henry, I think.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

First Comes Love by Emily Giffin and I usually love her work. It was disappointing. I preordered it, too. UGH. Such a problematic book from start-to-finish.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016?

TOO many of them. It's like choosing a child, or rather fittingly for a few of us, a book. I love you all. đź’•

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?

I love all my reviews. HA. No, I'm joking. I hate reading back my reviews. It's weird. I catch errors, then I wanna delete them all. Probably the Once Upon A Kiss by Robin Palmer, if anything, because I placed about 1000 GIFs and the author stopped by to comment.

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

All of them. Like I said, read my blog. ;) #ShamelessSelfPromotion Most likely, the author interviews or the blog tours. They've always been immensely fun to be apart of.

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

I've been to book signings, but I've never been to YA bookish event. I was thisclose to going to one near me, last year, but I chickened out. Someday, I hope to go to YALLFest or something. They have a grilled-cheese truck!

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?

Doing the #Shelfie. That was back when I had all my books crammed into a gigantic straw basket. Now, I have an actual shelf. Progress.

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?

Probably managing a blog and having to comment back on others. I love visiting blogs. I stalk thousands of y'all like crazy, and enjoy reading, then I make the crucial mistake of forgetting to comment or I just leave my browser open and walk away. Yeah, I'm unintentionally weird.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

All of them. HA. Yeah, right. I rarely check my stats anymore, but last time, it was my review of Gena/Finn, weirdly enough.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

They all do. Sheesh.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Abebooks.com / BookOutlet. I haven't actually brought anything off Book Outlet yet, but those sales. It's like Forever 21 in bookish form.

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

No, I'm lame. I just set my '17 GR Challenge for 75 books. Last year's was 200. You can only imagine how that went. In my defense, I was busy with college.

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?

I'm currently getting back to my e-galleys because my Spring semester doesn't start till later this month, so all of them, really.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?

Don't mind me, #malfunctioning. I preordered Starfall, the sequel to Starflight, and I'm secretly seriously looking forward to Always and Forever, Lara Jean and Susane Colasanti's Forever In Love. And, you know, the obvious. Katie Cotugno, Jessica Brody, and Corey Ann Haydu's latest.

3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

You're Welcome, Universe, Wicked Like A Wildfire, #Famous, The Inevitable Collision of Birdie + Bash, Romancing the Throne. Obvious choices are obvious.

 4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?

Starfall AND I ALREADY PREORDERED IT. Of course, Always and Forever, Lara Jean, which sounds like a perfume campaign

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?

Probably finish my GR Reading Challenge this time and keep up on the blog.

6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:

I haven't read too many, but I skimmed my e-galleys of The Inconceivable Life of Quinn and Girl Out of Water, and they sounded great.

No comments:

Post a Comment