Friday, January 13, 2017

Review: Glitter

Aprilynne Pike - Glitter
Published: October 25, 2016 by Random House Books for Young Readers
Genres: Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Young Adult
Pages: 384
Find on: Amazon, Book Depository, Goodreads
Rating: 2/5

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Aprilynne Pike comes a truly original new novel—Breaking Bad meets Marie Antoinette in a near-future world where the residents of Versailles live like it’s the eighteenth century and an almost-queen turns to drug dealing to save her own life.

Outside the palace of Versailles, it’s modern day. Inside, the people dress, eat, and act like it’s the eighteenth century—with the added bonus of technology to make court life lavish, privileged, and frivolous. The palace has every indulgence, but for one pretty young thing, it’s about to become a very beautiful prison.


When Danica witnesses an act of murder by the young king, her mother makes a cruel power play . . . blackmailing the king into making Dani his queen. When she turns eighteen, Dani will marry the most ruthless and dangerous man of the court. She has six months to escape her terrifying destiny. Six months to raise enough money to disappear into the real world beyond the palace gates.

Her ticket out? Glitter. A drug so powerful that a tiny pinch mixed into a pot of rouge or lip gloss can make the wearer hopelessly addicted. Addicted to a drug Dani can sell for more money than she ever dreamed.

But in Versailles, secrets are impossible to keep. And the most dangerous secret—falling for a drug dealer outside the palace walls—is one risk she has to take.
~
Was I the only one who hated every one of these characters? K cool.

Danica is disgusting. Don't worry, I'll tell you why. So she's engaged to be married to King Justin (i.e. legit royalty) and she needs to escape this engagement. No pun intended, truly. You would think being a future queen is #life, but not to her. When she finds her father getting hyped, she's more interested than concerned. Apparently, he's not high off life, but a drug named Glitter, which he has specifically delivered to the palace and survives off to get through life with their family, I assume.

Danica decides to deal this very drug - aka: Glitter - to escape the prospect of an arranged marriage. She mixes it in with makeup, as if that makes it okay and deals solely to her friends and family. To avoid spoilers: it doesn't go well. HOW does no one rat on her?

I'm not sure what timezone this book is even set in? The blurb tells us modern-day, but the book describes it as futuristic and King Justin Timberlake is seen using a tablet to manage royal business, so I don't know.

Knowing how obviously gross Justin (probably the only thing I loved about this book was how she was the only one who constantly called him Justin) was, Danica continuously visited him at 3AM, alone, knowing he was prone to getting drunk and doing ridiculous things. Nonetheless, Danica's stupidity makes me wanna cry. I've truly never dealt with such an idiotic MC.

Plus, the names in this book irked me endlessly. For a dystopian - modern or not - they're so average. No offense to anyone with these names, surely, but I seriously could not. I noticed some reviewers had this problem with Heartless, but it didn't bother me so much there. These names, I swear, were literally taken from a 2016's Most Popular Baby Names. Danica. Angela. Justin. Molli. Get. REAL.

Okay, I know no one will agree (with good reason!). But if King Justin weren't so disgusting, I would've liked he and Danica as a couple. I totally misread their situation, I'm hoping. Considering this is a duology, I'm worried the prospect of a love-triangle will somehow be brought in, and I hope the author doesn't make that a thing.

I actually adored the ending because Danica was finally getting her just desserts. Secretly, I wish this was a standalone. Although, I did want to see that wedding. But it'll be interesting to see how this series finishes off.

5 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh so much yes. You are most certainly NOT alone, I hated them all too, except kind of the what's-his-name love interest, but then I hated him kind of because Danica sucks so bad that he doesn't even deserve to be stuck with her, make better decisions, buddy! Like, no, I cannot take "King Justin" seriously. Justin is not the name of a king, it is the name of like... some douchey kid in my elementary school gym class (true story, actually). And Danica did not care about ANYONE but herself. And yes, Justin was awful (I cannot believe you liked him bwahaha) but like... poison HIM then, girl! Leave everyone else out of your nonsense!

    And OMG YES to the time period! There were robots, corsets, and iPads and not a damn bit of it made sense. But like you, I still want to find out what happens. We are gluttons for punishment, my dear ;) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think his name was Saber?? That reminds me so much of the Flintstones for some reason. He treated her horribly, too tbh. RIGHT? Justin was not a king's name. lolol noooo, I think I only really liked how Danica was the one who called him Justin. He was like, "DONT CALL ME THAT." And after a while, he just let it happen. Weirdly enough, I don't think I ever knew a Justin. Nothing good comes from them except Timberlake. hahah.

    This book was such a damn mess && I think we'll be the only two readers left reading it. It's cool, we'll have a lot to say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy wow!! This sounds like a mess-- and King Justin?? That sounds so f-ing weird. I struggled with Wink Poppy Midnight, so I think I'm kind of done with this author. And I'm definitely not going to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL wrong April!! Well it may as well be the same because both books = blah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! It's fine. Been there, done that. Thousands of times, surely. ;) Seriously, King Justin totally reminds me of Timberlake, I'm not sure how the author could take herself serious with that one smh

      Delete