Review: The Inconceivable Life of Quinn

Marianna Baer - The Inconceivable Life of Quinn
Expected publication: April 4, 2017 by Amulet Books
Genres: Contemporary, Magical Realism, Romance, Young Adult
Pages: 384
Find on: Amazon, Book Depository, Goodreads
Rating: 2.5/5

Quinn Cutler is sixteen and the daughter of a high-profile Brooklyn politician. She’s also pregnant, a crisis made infinitely more shocking by the fact that she has no memory of ever having sex. Before Quinn can solve this deeply troubling mystery, her story becomes public. Rumors spread, jeopardizing her reputation, her relationship with a boyfriend she adores, and her father’s campaign for Congress. Religious fanatics gather at the Cutlers’ home, believing Quinn is a virgin, pregnant with the next messiah. Quinn’s desperate search for answers uncovers lies and family secrets—strange, possibly supernatural ones. Might she, in fact, be a virgin?
~
Quinn is pregnant, but being a virgin, she doesn’t understand how that can be so. Although, she and her boyfriend, Jesse, are something close to intimate, they’ve never been factually intimate, yagetme?

Quinn The Virgin goes to the OB-GYN, unable to come to terms with her alleged pregnancy, and it’s confirmed truth. She’s an official stereotype: sixteen and pregnant. Someone call MTV. Worse for her, her father is a high-and-mighty politician, preparing for an upcoming election, and he doesn’t have time for her BS. As if it could get any worse for their family, Quinn starts to be seen as a religious messiah, a fertility god of sorts, and people gather outside their home, believing she can cure their infertility and/or child's sickness.

This book has a whimsical Jandy Nelson-esque quality to it, and fans of Immaculate and Juno will go wild over it. It’s never fully known who the father of Quinn’s baby is, or how she got pregnant? Not to be constantly sipping the Haterade, but that bothered me. Plus, Quinn waits until she has almost every symptom of a pregnancy before she heads to the doctor. CHEESUS, child.

I think Jesse, Quinn’s boyfriend, was ready to be the father of her child, anyway? Even though he was doubtful of her pregnancy, he was still hanging out with her and wanting to be around her. Personally, I thought he was a loser, but they shared a scene I enjoyed.

Quinn's parents are addressed by their official names and I've never been annoyed by anything more: Gabe and Katherine. I had no clue who they even were, at first, and I didn't get it until the end. I have no clue why that was even so, but neither of them treat her horribly. (Her father is disbelieving of pretty much everything, but given the circumstances, it's understandable.)

I enjoyed the mix of the children's book/lullaby and the watery-waterfall-lilting feel mashup of the book, which is why I mainly adored this book and kept the rating as is. It's so unexpectedly, gorgeously written, and the ending was a surprising, realistic touch, but I enjoyed it and it was *especially* reminiscent of Juno, and I'm almost hoping people will enjoy that sweep of realism. 

Comments

  1. Hmmm, I always get curious about these "immaculate conception" books. Like is it some miracle-- or are they lying?? Or did they block something out?? I feel like if it's the former, I don't really want to read it because-- well, that just feels far-fetched and it would have to be done PERFECTLY to work. I'm glad you liked this one, I'm going to go search for SPOILERS now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA. I usually cross-post my GR review, but slice out the spoilers, in case people get angry. But immaculate conceptions weird me out, but also interest me?? No worries, you're really not missing anything from this one, though. lolz.

      Delete

Post a Comment