Blog Tour Review: You're The One That I Want

Giovanna Fletcher - You're The One That I Want
Published: April 25, 2017 by Thomas Dunne Books
Genres: Adult, Romance, Realistic Fiction
Pages: 372
Find on: Amazon, Book Depository, Goodreads
Source: Publisher
Rating: 2.5/5

Maddy, dressed in white, stands at the back of the church. At the end of the aisle is Rob - the man she's about to marry. Next to Rob is Ben - best man and the best friend any two people ever had.

And that's the problem.

Because if it wasn't Rob waiting for her at the altar, there's a strong chance it would be Ben. Loyal and sensitive Ben has always kept his feelings to himself, but if he turned round and told Maddy she was making a mistake, would she listen? And would he be right?

Best friends since childhood, Maddy, Ben and Rob thought their bond was unbreakable. But love changes everything. Maddy has a choice to make but will she choose wisely? Her heart, and the hearts of the two best men she knows, depend on it...
 
~
Everything was okay, he'd said.
He was with her.
They'd talked things through.
They were back on track.
Where the hell did that leave me, I wondered.

Go make a dating profile, Ben. No one cares.

Fellow readers, forgive me, for I have sinned, for rating a book that glorifies cheating a token two-star, but hear me out.

Rob, Maddy, and Ben have been best friends since their childhood years. They've been the definition of the fearsome threesome since their youngest years, but when they start developing feelings for each other - well, at least, Maddy - it all goes wonky.

Rob and Maddy start dating, then Ben realizes he has feelings for Maddy, then Maddy realizes she has feelings for Ben, then no one cares about Ben in all actuality because he's still a frat boy until Maddy realizes she actually wants him. Or someone.

Take a moment to faint. I'll lay down a few safety pillows.

Maddy is the type of girl who ruins phenomenal friendships and the reason some of us have such a bad name. Maddy is very much a manic pixie dream hurl, which is a trope that needs to be reinstated, just to redefine her shittiness. I'm surprised Rob and Ben never had a flatout fistfight over her, thank the bookish gods, they didn't, because she was such drama.

(...) "Maddy," I sighed, my patience wavering slightly. "I don't know what you want from me. You know how I feel. I opened up to you, finally told you everything I've ever wanted to say, but you're back with Robert. You clearly don't feel that love back."
"But I do!"
"You have a boyfriend."
"And?"
"That's a pretty big 'and' right there."

The book is dual-POV between the two of them, Maddy and Ben, and it tells from when they're nine until they reach twenty-seven. Ben is the dominant POV and he experiences the frat-and-fun version of a college lyfe. (Word to the wise: Don't read this book if you're expecting an accurate portrayal of a college campus. It was disappointing as hell, but I guess, not for the characters.) Rob and Maddy drift through each other's lives, unable to comprehend the idea of a long-distance relationship or a college major.

The ending was a surprise. I actually skipped a few pages ahead and somehow misread it, and was like, "UGH, really?" So when I was finally reached it, it was still unexpected but surprisingly relieving, and I almost wanted a second book or another chapter. Maybe just another chapter.

About Giovanna Fletcher:

GIOVANNA FLETCHER is an actress and freelance journalist who blogs for HELLO! online. She is married to Tom Fletcher from the band McFly. She grew up in Essex and now lives outside of London with Tom and their son, Buzz.

Facebook, Twitter, Website, YouTube 

Comments

  1. The cover to this book is really cute, so I'm sorry you didn't love this book! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?? All pastels! Thanks, Britt! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment