Review: Give Me A K-I-L-L

R.L. Stine - Give Me A K-I-L-L (Fear Street Relaunch, #6)
Published: April 4, 2017 by Thomas Dunne Books for St. Martin's Griffin
Genres: Horror, Thriller, Young Adult
Pages: 281
Source: Publisher
Find on: Amazon, Book Depository, Goodreads
Rating: 3.5/5

The sixth new book in the re-launch of R.L. Stine’s bestselling Fear Street series, which has sold more than 80 million copies around the world.

At Shadyside High, cheerleading can be a scream!

For the first time since the original series, R.L. Stine brings back his most beloved characters—the cheerleaders of Shadyside High.

The cheerleading squad at Shadyside has always been strong, but now there are rumors that lack of funds may mean the end of cheerleading at Shadyside. That would be a shame for Heather Wyatt, who has just transferred from her old school, where she was a star, and is eager to join the squad. There’s only one other girl who stands in her way—rich, spoiled Devra Dalby, who is also trying out for the one open slot. The competition to join the squad is anything but friendly—and it ends in murder. Will Heather make the squad—if there's even a squad anymore—or will she end up dead?

Packed with screams and guaranteed to send a shiver up your spine, this is a terrifying installment in Stine's bestselling Fear Street series.

~
She picked her phone up from where she had tossed it on the bed. She gazed at a text on the screen:

YOU COULD BREAK YOUR NECK

All in capital letters. From Devra?

A chill tightened the back of Gretchen's neck as she read the word's again.

The phone dinged again. Another message appeared beneath the first one:

SOMETIMES CHEERLEADERS DIE


I L-I-V-E (yeah, I'm corny and punny, bye) for R.L. Stine. He's one of the especially amazing authors, who could an anthology full of car-commercial jingles and people will still lunge for it.

Gretchen has recently moved to Fear Street and is coined the unfortunate, unpopular new girl at Shadyside High. Gretchen's story has a slow start, and you might be tempted to DNF. At least, I was. RL Stine brings back familiarity with creepster settings with that hometown feel of Shadyside, and good ol Lefty's, and you'll be right at home if you've read any of his previous novels.

The cheerleaders are picked apart, one by one, and Devra is initially made the culprit after Gretchen becomes suspicious of her, who are either critically injured or die under suspicious circumstances.
Gretchen fumbled in the bag until she found the phone. She raised it to her face and read it. "Another message," she told Madison. "From Devra."

GIVE ME A K-I-L-L.
Very early on, Sid and Gretchen decide to pursue a relationship. The problem about this modern-love story, Sid is taken, and um, not too many people care, including Sid's actual girlfriend. In the end, no one learns anything, people die, people reunite, and seriously, no comprehendo. Gretchen is seen as The Almighty Savior and Sid's actual girlfriend nearly dies - and yeah, no lessons are seriously learned.

R.L. Stine's novels are very repetitive, and I feel horrible for just recently noticing this. Girl and Boy fall in love, Girl and Boy experience issues in their relationship, murders occur, MC is blamed, more murders, police involvement, and oh my, a cryptic ending. I still love them, anyway. I mean, hello, it's R.L. Stine, and I'll say (write) that a million times more until everyone gets the point.
Leaping high with the other girls, shouting, urging the crowd to cheer - it gave her a strong feeling of confidence she didn't normally feel. That was one reason she loved cheerleading. She became someone else. Her doubts and negative feelings and worries disappeared.

She was an athlete. A performer. A member of a team.

Her good feeling lasted until halftime.

Comments

  1. I need to read this-- but I really wish it was about Corky's daughter!! Wouldn't that be cool if these relaunch books featured some of the original characters as adults?? Like, would Suki be the single mom with 5 kids by 5 different dads? Would one of the culprits who didn't actually kill anybody (there were a few of those I think), be out of Shadyside Mental Hospital and be back at it?? I want these throwbacks to throw it back!!

    I do a fear street podcast (it's called We Know What You Did On Fear Street), so I'm a TAD R.L. Stine obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH, I was tempted to spoil this because I literally loved it. It's so gruesome (Isn't that the perfect word to describe RL Stine's work, though?!). AND yes, so with you on this aspect. And just so you know, I was mega bummed. Corky and Bobbi weren't even REFERENCED, considering this is another cheerleading novel. Way to re-break my heart, RL Stine. (I heard he's planning more Fear Street novels, so EXCITE.)

    I wonder if he's going to revive this aspect in the relaunch. (Imagine if the others come back as parents of side-characters or something? #Nostalgia) This makes me wanna reread the Goosebumps series in its entirety.

    How am I just now finding out about this? Do you host the podcast on your blog? Details!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment